Best way to breed larger to smaller?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainrabbits

Reaction score
I know it is possible to breed rabbits of different sizes together and not have any problems, but what would you do if your buck is the larger breed and the doe the smaller of the two?
I can either breed my Jr rex/californian/new zealand mix buck to my mini rex does directly and hope it goes well; keep the largest doe to breed back to dad and the smallest buck to breed back to mom.
Or I can keep the smallest buck out of my buck and my daughter's new zealand doe and use him for the mini rexes and keep a smaller buck from that litter to breed to the mini rexes and replace the in between buck.
Thoughts? Experiences to share? I will be keeping my eye out for a smaller buck in the meantime but if there is a feasible way to finagle this cross in the meantime I would try it. My goal is for meat and having rexed coat hides to practice tanning so I can eventually sew some things up.

It is very possible, and the buck and doe [if she is in the mood] will find a way.

One thing to be aware of,
... - sometimes, - when rabbits are pared this way, the kits will be too large for the doe to birth,
or there will be complications, with them being born in a timely manner, ...and you will have stillborn kits...
So if you do this, you need to be aware of this possibility...

Back