Best Things To Know About Netherland Dwafs???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackiibunny

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a netherland dwarf & I want to learn more about what to expect & the best way to make the bun happy. So please help! :)

Find a breeder who pays attention to temperament. All dwarf are a little higher energy but there are the ones who just nudge you in frustration when you are keeping them from bouncing around and then there are the ones who attempt to take a chunk out of you. A small chunk but 2 lines of bleeding teeth indents with a bruise between is still plenty painful.

akane":2kyutlfy said:
Find a breeder who pays attention to temperament. All dwarf are a little higher energy but there are the ones who just nudge you in frustration when you are keeping them from bouncing around and then there are the ones who attempt to take a chunk out of you. A small chunk but 2 lines of bleeding teeth indents with a bruise between is still plenty painful.

I second that.
Often young female rabbits are very nice, and can get quite aggressive post puberty.
The best gauge of post-puberty temperament I have found so far is to observe the behavior of the doe who produced the kits. Observe the rest of the rabbits in the rabbitry as well if you can too.

If you can find a whole rabbitry full of friendly rabbits, you will have good chances of getting a nice pet.

It's by no means 100% (sometimes nice does produce crazy kits),
but, there seems to be somewhat higher chances of friendly does producing friendly kits.

__________ Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 pm __________

Making them happy is pretty easy. They like...things to jump up on, things to chew. Lots of grass hay is good for their digestive tract and their teeth if you can find a source. Most pet stores grossly overcharge for the stuff.

From your posts you are a student. Do you live in an apartment or dorm room? If you have the room for it Tractor supply store has square bales of timothy hay. Not sure on the price but they aren't that big . probably cheaper than pet stores anyway
..that is where I get feed. Lots of feed stores around my neck of the desert store feed in sheds. Heat kills the nutrition. I get toys at big lots and dollar stores cat or bird toys. You can make your own too just stuff t.p. rolls with hay and a dried apple rind or something. Also wood to chew will help the teeth so you don't have to trim them. Branches of safe wood or raw wood from someone's workshop. Good luck...read all you can this is a great site. Lots of friendly people who will help you. Oh and welcome to the never boring world of rabbit raising.

The bales at our feed stores are still 50 lbs. They are just chopped and compressed. It would take you years to feed a Netherland 50 lbs of hay. :lol: For one Netherland all you really need are the small bags but you can buy oxbowhay or kmshayloft.com online in 10 or 25 lbs cheaper and much better quality than the bags in stores. Still far more expensive than feed store hay and most would find the cost too high but we are talking about ND. We joke they live on air compared to the other rabbits.

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.

I've got the sweetest Nethie ever named Sebastian. He is super cuddly and smoochy. I really like the breed. I agree with others it would pay to even try to find a facebook rabbit club in your area and ask if anyone knows of a breeder that has rabbits known for good temperaments. They are active, curious and smart. My boys seem to be more cuddly than the girls. I think the older they get the sweeter they are. When they come into sexual maturity they might get more territorial about their cage and act frustrated or spray. Neutering is good for that. The get sweeter the older they get.

Latest posts

Back