Best Litter for Litter box and question about cleaning cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
I need to order some new litter. I have been using the carefresh litter plus. It works fine and he doesn't eat it anymore. :)

But I wonder if there's something cheaper that works just as well. The biggest problem is I live in a very small town so not a lot of options. I had to order the Carefresh from Amazon. So anything that you all would suggest that is safe if he does eat some?

My question about the cage is - How often do I need to actually clean the cage part of the cage. I dump out the drop pan everyday and I clean out the litter box. The bottom of the cage just has two resting mats and no bedding. His poop drops through to the pan. He has peed a few times in the cage into the pan. Do I need to take everything out of the cage and hose it down or anything and how often? He is pretty much litter trained for urine unless he gets scared.

He also continues to knock the drop pan so he can get in it. GROSS! LOL. That's his new favorite hiding spot.
Kristy

I have heard a lot of good things about pelletized bedding used for horses. It is bought at feed stores and is cheap. You might want to try that.

As far as cleaning the cage part, I would take the resting mats out once a week or so and clean them. I might take a damp cloth and wipe the bottom cage wire off once in a while. I would just look at and smell the cage- you'll know how often it needs to be cleaned.

I use shredded paper for mine, while it's not super absorbent it does the job and get it for free from my mother's workplace (plus doesn't hurt them if they have the odd nibble at it). With the trays on my bunny's crates I take them out weekly and give them a clean.

Marinea":2whi94cy said:
I have heard a lot of good things about pelletized bedding used for horses.

:yeahthat: I sometimes quarantine rabbits in an aquarium in the house and use it then. I also put it in the carriers when attending rabbit shows.

albrst":2whi94cy said:
The biggest problem is I live in a very small town so not a lot of options.

The pine bedding Marinea mentioned can be substituted with pine pellets for wood stoves. Just make sure there are no accelerants added.

I use the pelletized bedding for horses also. If you have a Tractor Supply or Southern States around you, you can get it there for $5-6 per 40lb bag. Before that I used newspaper in cages. It has to be changed more often than the horse bedding. I clean cages at various interval based on the type of cage, size of the rabbit and output of the rabbit. Soonest is 5 days, latest is 10 days.

I have used the horse bedding as well. :)

And yes, woodstove pellets are the same thing, as long as they are wood only -- no accelerants.

You can probably get this cheaper than Carefresh. Maybe a lot cheaper, if you get it at a feed store (or home supply, for wood stove pellets).

Thanks for the advice. I went to Tractor Supply today and got the 40 pound bag of Pelletized horse bedding. Just to help him adjust I mixed it with the carefresh and can do that for another time or two till the carefresh runs out. I hope this works because man this is so much cheaper than the carefresh.

Kristy and Lego

It should work out great for you. :) I can get the 40 pound bag for $6.something. WAY cheaper than Carefresh!

The typical way to use horse bedding as bunny litter:

Put at least 1" of litter in the pan, but leave at least 1" space at the top.

Once daily, stir the litter thoroughly. The pellets will turn to sawdust as they absorb urine.

Once all of the litter has disintegrated, begin scooping new wet spots instead of stirring them. Replace with a handful of fresh litter and stir.

Replace all of the litter now and then, when you decide it needs it.

Thank you! That makes so much more sense that what I have been doing which is throwing out the whole thing and wasting a lot of good litter still!

I have been putting hay on top of the litter because he likes to eat while in the litter box. I have a hay feeder above the litter box so I might stop putting the hay on the litter.

Kristy

Miss M":ks44fwpp said:
It should work out great for you. :) I can get the 40 pound bag for $6.something. WAY cheaper than Carefresh!

The typical way to use horse bedding as bunny litter:

Put at least 1" of litter in the pan, but leave at least 1" space at the top.

Once daily, stir the litter thoroughly. The pellets will turn to sawdust as they absorb urine.

Once all of the litter has disintegrated, begin scooping new wet spots instead of stirring them. Replace with a handful of fresh litter and stir.

Replace all of the litter now and then, when you decide it needs it.

Latest posts

Back