Best comb?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When My Wife was raising Angoras,
she had a Comb on which the teeth would Spin.
I have a few of then still. I would gladly, sell
them if anyone was interested. On my rabbits [Satins],
I use a slicker Brush and then a soft bristled Man's Hair brush.
I am not sure if that would work on Angoras.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks for offering. I can get those spinning-tooth combs around here, so I'd guess that it might be better to get them locally as I'd need to cover shipping, too if I took you up on your offer. But thanks for thinking of it.

The young ones mat up quickly and I was hoping for a magic comb :lol:

Zinnia

I don't actually comb the Angoras (or Jersey Woolies). I don't touch the fiber until it's ready to harvest,that loosens the wool. Buns get blown out with a high power blower, once a week or longer depending on the rabbit. If I have to I will run my hands over the coat and grab up any hairs the blower didn't blow away. I finger pick anything that's starting to web/matt.

When the one that molts starts, I hand pluck or use an afro pick to lift hairs. The others are clipped with scissors.

You guys must show your rabbits. I'm not there yet....still learning! I agree that just plucking when ready works great. But, those younger rabbits seem to mat up quickly if I don't comb.

Zinnia

Zinnia":1u5lbfnh said:
You guys must show your rabbits. I'm not there yet....still learning! I agree that just plucking when ready works great. But, those younger rabbits seem to mat up quickly if I don't comb.

Zinnia

Ah ha.

After 8 weeks old, I clip down the woolers. As far down as I can get them. I've only had two Angoras I did not clip down, make it three, I did not clip their dam, and I hope the trend gets passed on.

Recently because of the extreme cold, I didn't clip a batch of 12 week old Jersey Woolies, and I'm still paying for it, so much that I will have to clip the coat down and that will probably leave them unshowable for the Jersey Wooly Nationals in May. Lesson learned.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2agjc30d said:
I use to comb before I got my blower.. I don't comb anymore except for under the chin and face and under belly.. I do what sky does ... Except I use a cat slicker brush on the top after I blow there coat.

Can you give me an idea of how you do under the belly. I've notice mine which are about 7 weeks old are needing some attention in that area.

Back