best breeds for anamals

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug4H

Reaction score
i am looking at rabbit breeds and wondering witch rabbits get along with other anamals.
i have dogs,cats,fish and degus [rodents]

Any breed of rabbit can learn to not fear dogs and cats but the more high stung or skittish personalities may take a bit longer. The important part is to teach your dogs and cats that the rabbit is not food or a toy for them

My dogs are trained to not to bother the bunnies and my house rabbits are use to calm dogs who don't pester their cage so they do not run away or freak out when they are running loose in the family room and a dog walks up to sniff them or sleep next to them on the couch

Dogs love to chase and if a rabbit runs away from them the pups hunting instinct will often kick in and they will go after the bunny.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 2,580
Yeah, if you get them young enough and introduce them to other animals then they learn faster that the dog/cat will not be a threat.

my rabbits seem to like my cats more than my dogs.

english angora kit:

a_lesson_in_patience_by_trickster_of_asgard-d62s0z0.jpg

meat mutt kit (can you see it?!!!)

i_spy_with_my_little_eye____by_trickster_of_asgard-d61j5qg.jpg

My Mucky was brought home at 10 weeks old. She was plenty young enough to learn how to socialize with...everyone!!
Although even the adult velveteens I'd purchased for breeding never seemed to have a skittish bone in their bodies.

That breed would be my absolute favorites for amiability.

I don't usually recommend them to breeders, but I just love them for housepets. :love:

I disagree about the young enough bit. The high strung SF crosses I had were never going to be friendly. I would bring them inside for socialization starting before their eyes even opened up. No matter what I tried, most would still eventually become antisocial rabbits.

I'm guessing I must have gotten really unlucky with those lines, since not too many others seem to have experienced that level of genetic...wildness... in their rabbits. Only those with certain lines of SF seem to understand. :lol:

Dood, your dog is adorable! What breed?

My cats and dogs don't bother the buns, either. It is easy to teach them to respect one another. Funny, my cats still hunt and eat wild rabbits, but don't bat a lash at MY bunnies.

Old dogs are the best. :love:

Since we're showing bunnies getting along with other pets :D

Here's some of the gang trying to pile on my old doggies bed.
Elderly Pitbull (Deimos), Mucky, and Pod, a three legged cat whom I didn't technically own, but his owners never let him inside, so he wintered here with us.

Attachments

• GEDC9329.JPG
    GEDC9329.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 2,552
I love these pics of different animals together !

Even after living together for 7 years our dogs and cat still don't LIKE each other. They tolerate one another, and each keep to different areas of the house !

Usually, the cat is on top of the fishtank, up where the dogs just ignore her :D

That trio gets along well. (the only thing potentially dangerous here may be that house plant)
Notice the dog's level of concern for the rabbit.. I think, the kind of dogs who could care less that rabbits even exist are probably the easiest kind to have around them.
Your dogs will definitely make a bigger difference in co-habitability than whatever rabbits decide on.

My pitbull can get along with ANYTHING. He's always taken his cues from me, and I tell him, "don't worry about it. "

GEDC0169.JPG

The newf is mostly just hairy a floor mat, but he's as dependable as anyone.

The older animals do not seem to like his "younger dog" personality as much...but, it's not due to lack of will to get along on his part!

This kitten was found near her mother and sibling that had been killed on the road. We took her to the shelter, since we were in no financial position to take on another cat at the time.

Puppit did a good job of making sure she felt comfortable while she was here. :) Had we been able to keep her, I'm sure those two would have been great friends.
Drakeand kitten.jpg

I never had a problem with dogs and any breeds of rabbit. Occasionally a new rabbit of any breed would cram in the corner of the cage because it had never seen dogs but they chill soon. The husky puppy is sometimes annoying but she is annoying about everything still. Last night she was upset a chinchilla got to be on the bed and get attention. I have netherlands right now and I let my akita just walk in to the rabbit colony.

So i can still get one of the Rex rabbits as long as i train the dogs it is not lunch! :D

Aw, you guys have such cute pets
_love__by_cookiemagik-d35xgjx.gif
Whenever I took the buns for a walk, the dogs didn't seem to know what to do - doesn't smell like a dog, and it's not a cat!!
nommy_smile_by_angelinaharijau-d47w5u3.png

Latest posts

Back