Best breed to sale as pets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinipela

Reaction score
Just curious what people think the best breed to sale. Do you guys sale what you personally like or what sales best

This isn't so much a breed recommendation for selling as pets but moreso the best PICTURES.

This advertisement just came up on my local Craigslist posting these rabbits for sale. Check out the picture.
Beautiful bun but look how scared he looks of the camera AND of the person. People looking for pets don't respond well to pictures like this.
00X0X_g5xfk1yiRBi_600x450.jpg

Now take these two pictures of kits that I had up for sale for pet homes, I had multiple other pictures of other kits from the litter but I got about 5 people in the first few days wanting one of these white guys. White kits simply don't sell as well (in my opinion) as the broken buns or more colorful rabbits, but I had people sending me these pictures back saying, "We want this one!"
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.55.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.55.31 AM.png

So my suggestion (since I've never sold anything other than meat mutts I cannot try and tell you which breed would sell better to pet homes) is that whatever breed you end up going for, make sure they are handled often and take pictures that show how unafraid and happy they are to be around people. THAT'S what pet buyers are looking for, not so much a specific breed.

/2c. :) Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a picture of the last rabbit in his pet home, look at that silly boy! He's not scared of that little girl one bit and they just adore him.
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.05.20 AM.png

Smaller breed rabbits sell better in my area (for pets)
I have just obtained a Netherland Dwarf buck with great temperament and a pretty little mixed breed doe... I will be waiting a month or so before breeding her as I want to make sure she isn't a larger breed (I think she is polish or mini satin?)
I will definitely be taking 2Crazy's advice on the photos and handling these kits a lot more than my meat rabbits.... the pet breeding pair are great temperament and friendly bunnies.... I was looking for size and temperament when I was looking for a pet pair.... I have heard some horror stories about the smaller breeds being evil, so make sure you ask the right questions when sourcing your breeding stock.

I sell a few different breeds for pets. By far my most popular breed is the giant chinchilla. The whole litter usually has deposits on them before they are old enough to leave their mom. I sell them for $50 a piece. My velveteen lops are also popular with pet buyers. We have a big market where I live for meat rabbits so my Californians and Altexs sell easily too but for only $20 .

AmberRae":24o1gtjp said:
By far my most popular breed is the giant chinchilla.

Wow! Really?! I would have expected the smaller breeds to sell better like Sarnia mentioned. The way I thought about it is if I wanted an animal the size of a (small) dog as a pet... I'd get a dog. So for me a rabbit as a pet is more an in-between from a guinea pig to a cat, lol. Those are some big 'ol bunnies! I just expected buns like the Holland Lops to be big in the pet market.

No one buy a giant chinchilla here. Some do go looking for flemish but they usually aren't aware of any other large breed or they just wanted the largest breed possible if they are getting a large breed and never consider the others. You'd only get the few people looking for a flemish who decide a giant chinchilla you already have advertised would work instead. However, giant chinchillas are an uncommon breed and people will drive states away for the chinchilla breeds as breeders and show even not proven on the show table. The small stuff sells well but while everyone wants a "dwarf" no one knows what it means and nearly all have horrid pet personalities, some of acceptable show handling personalities, and I culled down to practically nothing when I was trying to keep only the stuff that wouldn't draw blood for no reason and repeatedly if you didn't move. I hate lops but they are popular so a holland lop usually does well. Mini lop usually gets enough initial interest people go ahead and buy them even though the mini part is not exactly accurate. Mini rex are flooded most areas so you are competing with people and need the right colors plus some lines do have poor personalities so you have to check various stock. Dutch are not the extreme small size that attracts people but a small size, always interesting markings even when not close to show quality, and generally very good personalities. Also, if it fails good meat rabbits lol

Exactly what does best is going to depend on your area. What some people can sell for $30-$50 steady someone else can barely get a litter out the door for $10 each.

If I were going to breed for pets, I'd probably look towards something like a mini-rex or a rex and breed for temperament. Handle them from birth and breed the friendly ones for a few generations. The rexes I've met around here have been lovely mellow bunnies with an absolutely delightful coat.

Temperament has been a major deciding factor in who gets bred around here, although they are all English angora so they require a lot of handling. Generally, though, the buns here don't go out as pets. Their coats are too much for most kids and unless someone is going to use the fiber, it's not worth it for them to have a fiber rabbit. One went out for a pet but about four months later I got an email from someone who had bought it asking about the care and keeping of angora bunnies. She is going to spin the wool into yarn so it's a much better home than the pet people who swore they really wanted an angora as a pet.

I was very surprised there was such a market for my giants chins. My first pair were purchased to be bred for meat rabbits for our family. They were so friendly and affectionate that neither me or my husband wanted to eat them. We decided they would be better suited as pets. We marketed them as that and they sold very quickly. We were shocked and since then I have sold many litters. We do have buyers that buy them for meat breeders also since it is the trendy thing in our area right now. Ours are pedigreed and we do have show quality kits in each litter. I agree with the earlier poster that said pictures are important. I feel alot of the buyers I get fall in love with the the pictures showing how sweet the bunnies are.

Ramjet":7evsfbd2 said:
If you are getting into rabbits simply to make money .... don't.
Thank you all for the advice. I would like to respond to ramjet and say no I don't do this just for money. I'm kind of curious why people always assume the worst before asking. I love my holland lops and was curious what other breeds sell like. I never even thought about chancillas. It is nice making money for a hobby you love and watching families walk away happy with their new pet. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:42 pm __________ <br /><br />
Ramjet":7evsfbd2 said:
If you are getting into rabbits simply to make money .... don't.
Thank you all for the advice. I would like to respond to ramjet and say no I don't do this just for money. I'm kind of curious why people always assume the worst before asking. I love my holland lops and was curious what other breeds sell like. I never even thought about chancillas. It is nice making money for a hobby you love and watching families walk away happy with their new pet.

I dunno, Kinipela, I don't see why you can't get into it as a money making operation. The bunnies here are quite profitable. Not sure about the pet market, but the fiber market has room for anyone who wants to produce angora fiber.

Latest posts

Back