Best Angora breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny. Lately I really got interested into raising rabbits for wool. It won't happened in near future as I will be going to college in a year and getting any more keepers is not a good idea. However, just in case something changes and I end up getting them withing a year or so, what would be the best breed. Now, there are no Angora's avaliable in my country whatsoever, no one has them, but I found two breeders is neighbouring Hungary. They breed English, German and Satin Angoras as well as crosses. There are also many breeders through Europe, but thise two are the closest. Another thing to look after is the fact that I breed rabbits for meat, so the most commercial breed of three would be great. Thanks help in advance. -Marko

It depends on what your buyers desire and how much time you are willing to spend on maintaining their coats.

Its been the experience of many breeders over here that Angoras require higher protein levels to produce all that long fur and your regular rabbit diet may not suffice.

I know the German Angora must pass stringent wool quality tests to be accepted into the stud /breeding book, however, in Europe the same standards might be required for the English and French Angoras :shrug:

The german angora is probably the largest of the three.
The satin would be the second largest, and the english angora would be the least economical for meat production.

I believe that english and german angora must be sheared, and that the satin would molt and could be plucked. Since the satins were created using French angoras, I would suspect they would have the easiest to care for coats, but provide somewhat less wool.

Dood":123qirt0 said:
It depends on what your buyers desire and how much time you are willing to spend on maintaining their coats.

Its been the experience of many breeders over here that Angoras require higher protein levels to produce all that long fur and your regular rabbit diet may not suffice.

I know the German Angora must pass stringent wool quality tests to be accepted into the stud /breeding book, however, in Europe the same standards might be required for the English and French Angoras :shrug:

I am pretty bussy with my final year of high school and current rabbits take some time as well, but I still manage to find time to sit with my laptop on my lap waiting for someone to post a new respond to any of the topics around here, so I guess I can squeez them into my schedule. But, on the other hand, I would sort of like to have a rabbit I don't need spending 15-20 minutes daily brushing and grooming. As of being accepeted into breeding book, I believe there is no such a thing in my country. You see, rabbit raising-wisely, we are still somewhere in 15th century. Few decades give or take. :) About the food, I am probably going to switch to commercial feed, because my parents' feed corn+cereal+pellets mix but always get their cereals and corn from different places, so I feel it sort of shocks rabbits' stomaches.

Zass":123qirt0 said:
The german angora is probably the largest of the three.
The satin would be the second largest, and the english angora would be the least economical for meat production.

I believe that english and german angora must be sheared, and that the satin would molt and could be plucked. Since the satins were created using French angoras, I would suspect they would have the easiest to care for coats, but provide somewhat less wool.

The amount of wool is something that doesn't bother me the most, it's rather the quality of fur (which I know is mostly due the individual rabbit) as well as the time I would have to spend grooming. So, I guess that Satin Angora would be the best for me? I remember reading about the Satin wool being the hardest to work with somewhere on European sites, any information on that over The Pond?

Latest posts

Back