bermuda grass hay and turnips for bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
has anybody used bermuda hay for their rabbits.i have a free source of high quality bermuda hay and i understand it is similar to alfalfa in protein.i also raise turnips and wonder if rabbits would enjoy them? both roots and tops? any advice would be appreciated!!

:hi: Ridge Runner, where abouts do you live in MO?

I would also like to know if Bermuda is good.
If we are thinking about the same Bermuda it would be great if it was edible, our garden was taken over by it :?

You are in Missouri, so http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=g4620 from the Extension there would be a good source of info for you. apparently Bermuda grass hay CAN be quite high in protein....most analysis of it shows it with tops of 12-15% crude protein...the MU extension shows it at 16 to 20%.

g04620art07.jpg

It's apparently (from this article and others I've been reading) dependent on the TIME it's cut. If allowed to get tall, it's way down in protein. Also the amount of fertilizer used on the field. interesting.

anyway. Sounds like it will work for you..although I'd want a sample protein level..and since it's FREE!!! (we like free) you can ALWAYS add in some other form of protein if it's needed. (that's my opinion, anyway)

By turnips, do you mean rutabagas or white turnips? I like to be certain we are talking about the same thing.

Both rutabagas and white turnips can be fed, tops and roots, but in moderation... and phase them in slowly to prevent digestive problems.

MaggieJ":25hnjz6g said:
By turnips, do you mean rutabagas or white turnips? I like to be certain we are talking about the same thing.

Both rutabagas and white turnips can be fed, tops and roots, but in moderation... and phase them in slowly to prevent digestive problems.
white turnips is what i normally grow.they are so easy to grow and stay green even in the dead of winter here that i thought they might be a nice treat as some green forage as well as the cut up roots in the winter when its hard to get fresh greens.

Rabbits this time of year are hungry for fresh foods. The turnips will be very useful but as I said before, phase them in to prevent overindulgence and GI problems that might result from them. A lot depends on how you have been feeding your rabbits until now. If they've been getting mainly pellets you will need to use more caution than if they have been getting a good variety of fresh greens all winter. Slower is safer... so err on the side of caution.

thanks for the info yuall! i havent got my rabbits yet but hope to soon. i have been gathering info, makeing my cages and setting up their new home. everything is pretty well ready now and ive located a nearby raiser that has some 50/50 new zealand calif cross bunnies.im gonna get 2 young does and a unrelated buck.the turnips i prob wont even feed till next fall as i have plenty of green stuff till then.ill phase them in slowly as yu say.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:13 am __________<br /><br />we always harvest our bermuda at the optimon time for the greatest protein content. im goin to get some rabbits today so ill discuss it with the breeder and see what they have been feeding.

If you can, get a supply of the same feed. Moving homes is stressful to rabbits and changing feed at the same time is even more stressful. Perhaps the breeder can sell you a bag, or half a bag, so you can make any change of feed gradually. If not, get the brand and where he buys it.

Back