Behavior Interpretation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey328

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 SF does, who are littermates, were kindled in October. I'd give the exact date but I cleaned my desk and now I can't find anything! I think it was about the middle of the month or so. So that puts them at right about 4 months old.

While the rabbitry is being built, we have them sharing a cage in the house and they get along just fine. Corrie is quite a bit bigger than Sadie and more outgoing in personality. Just a few minutes ago, I heard a fair bit of activity and when had a look, Corrie was mounting Sadie. Should I be interpreting this as readiness on her part? My first thought was that they need to have their own houses, but while we have the cages, we just don't have room for another cage in the house just now :( There doesn't seem to be any aggression involved, thank goodness. It's likely to be at least another couple of weeks till the rabbitry is done and we can move them out there.

Whatcha think? Should I knuckle down and make some room in the house for another cage? Corrie may be ready, but I doubt Sadie is, and I don't want to breed till I can breed them both at the same time, and figured on doing that at the time they get moved.

Thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that you might have mis-sexed the one, and Corrie is actually Colin.

If not, and they are both definitely does, then it is likely a simple dominance display that actually has nothing to do with sexual readiness or desire or anything. It's a show of who is boss of this cage. They are becoming young teenagers, and the hormones are taking over. Time to establish the ole' pecking order.

I have a pair of does in a cage (they were raised together), and every once in a while they'll have a spat. One will mount the other, and give her a what-for, and they'll chase each other around the cage and stamp their feet for a few minutes. Then all is well again for a long while. :roll:

It's possible that they need to be separated, and that is to be determined by you. Is this becoming a frequent thing in the cage? Do you see fur that's been bitten off? Are they fighting in other ways?

It's also possible that you can leave them in together as they are, until you are able to give them permanent digs.

Doh! Brain fart there...I know that most mounting behavior is a dominance thing rather than a sexual thing when animals are same sex...dunno why that didn't cross my mind...the boy dogs and girl chickens all do it and I don't pay the least bit of attention, LOL

The episode tonight was the first I've seen and when I tossed a couple of pieces of carrot in there, they forgot all about it and all has been quiet since. I don't know if there was any scuffle preceding it or not. Normally if I hand them something, they'll both nibble on it quite happily so they've gotten along just fine. I'll keep an eye on 'em, and if there seems to be much fussing, we'll figure a way to get them their own houses ;)

I'm assuming they're both does...that's what the breeder told me, and she'd had another one come to confirm. They're really too skittish to try to check on my own...not mean but scared. Pretty much every time I pick one up I end up with scratches somewhere. Dave doesn't get all beat up, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong. He never uses the scruff of their necks; just reaches under the ribs...but my hands aren't quite big enough and I'm afraid I'll drop 'em. I usually lift their front half by the scruff, then the other hand goes under the ribs until I get 'em out, then tuck the back end under my elbow with the same hand supporting the front. They'll be still for a bit then all of a sudden try to "make a break for it" or something. I'm really trying to be patient, and even though they both come to the front when I open the door looking for treats,they still run when I try to stroke their foreheads. :no:

I am having the same issues with mine Mickey328 and I am pretty sure we got ours from the same breeder. Don't know if it is the lines or not, but I am a little disappointed as I heard so many positive things about the sweet, loving, and docile silver fox. I am sure missing my new zealands and considering switching out the silver fox for some colorful NZ. :?

Mickey328":1pwjwqj8 said:
Doh! the boy dogs and girl chickens all do it and I don't pay the least bit of attention, LOL

:x The boy dogs go after the girl chickens?! Poor chickens getting the bad end of the deal there. :chicken:

Mickey,

Most rabbits need time to adjust to a new owner, new place, etc. As for picking them up, I found that scruffing is somewhat insulting to them. For a new rabbit, I turn their head away from me and pick up the front end with both hands, then slide one hand down to scoop the rear end up, tilting the front backwards slightly. This helps to keep the rabbit calmer, and then, I turn the rabbit against my chest with a hand under the bum and the other one around the rabbit's shoulders, cuddling it to my chest. This is a very secure way that keeps the rabbit's feet in contact with something.

Back