Been a while... and awaiting Ewoks...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long time no visit, I know, I'm a crappy rabbit friend! Luckily Homer keeps me up to date on all the really important stuff. I promise I'm still in the game, the rules have just changed a bit. Here's the summary of my herd the last year and a half...

Pretty much this time last year a doe that I was stupid excited about got a severe case of mastitis that I had to put her down for, and I was left with a one week old litter of little Angoras that I had to bottle feed. Three of the eight pulled through, but I was so upset over it that I decided the bunnies were going to take a back seat for a while. I was already trying to downsize so we could do more this last summer. I sold off or ate most of my show Champagnes, and for a little while was down to my two favorite Angoras and two meat mommas, a Champ mix and a NZ/CA doe I picked up in Jan. But you all know how rabitosis is... It's incurable. :oops:

I sold the Champ mix doe and her one week old kit to a new breeder since she had figured out how to let herself out of her cage. Not good in my neighborhood. But the breeder and I stayed in touch. Later, I traded her some garden starts for a little Flemish/Rex buck for a new meat sire. SLOW growing but a chunky little guy, and even though he's black (technically Esej) he throws all sorts of stupid fun colors with my meat momma's I've held back from my little NZ/CA doe. (magie and harlie!!!)

Fast forward to September and the lovely show where Homer's doe got bred, and my stupid rabbitosis takes a turn for the fuzzy. I asked a breeder about a chocolate angora doe she said she may or may not sell, and she said if she didn't show well she'd give me a call, but her lilac brother was for sale. I didn't want a buck, but the breeder eventually told me she'd give me the doe if I took both for $100, so I took them home. I ended putting them both down for health reasons. UGH!!! I've only found one angora breeder that I've never had problems with their stock. I think most of the breeders around here focus on coat and type, not important things like immune systems.

Luckily I found a lady who was breeding for fun, and had a litter of FA that was raised in her back yard as free range rabbits. I got a tiny black doe, and fast forward two months and she's due Monday, I can't wait!! Who needs to slow down on rabbits?! I had a small herd all summer and we only went camping twice. Bah! I'm starting up my yarn business again too, so that won't work with only two Angoras. I need more little Ewoks!!

So sums up the highlights of what's happened since I last have been on. How have ya'll been? :D <br /><br /> __________ Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am __________ <br /><br /> Pictures!

Attachments

• Harl Kits.jpg
    Harl Kits.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Baby Zod.jpg
    Baby Zod.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Baby Moira.jpg
    Baby Moira.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Peek a Boo.jpg
    Peek a Boo.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Yarn.jpg
    Yarn.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,037
Glad to see you're having a relapse of rabitosis! :twisted: And It wasn't even my fault...this time. :)

Honey, the one we bred in September still has her seven little ones. I'll start weaning this weekend (8 weeks today) after moving some of the others around to free up the eight foot grow out hutch. They're really turning into little butterballs so tell mom she could get one for Christmas if she wants. :p ...you to. Free of course. :twisted:

Darn you Homer! I will pass along no such information!

No seriously, thank you for the offer but I can't even get her to take one of mine. I bred two does at once since they'd had high loss rates (first time Mom) and small litters (champ mix) and they rewarded me with a litter of 12 and 9 respectively. Each only had one still born. So after selling two, gifting a pretty little magpie to a friend, and culling a home bred buck that went crazy I still have 30 rabbits and 11 cages. Yes, I even added two cages! And I have two litters due in the next week and a half. We're going to be eating a LOT of rabbit this winter.

PSFAngoras":35q4d5j3 said:
Darn you Homer! I will pass along no such information!

Oh come on. You know she can't say no to me. I'll just tell her she won another raffle.
innocent-emoticon.gif
Four grays and two whites to pick from. I'm keeping the black one for now. :roll:

PSFAngoras":35q4d5j3 said:
I still have 30 rabbits and 11 cages. Yes, I even added two cages! And I have two litters due in the next week and a half.

You guys are going to need a bigger freezer. :p

PSFAngoras, that's some beautiful yarn, if I do say so myself. Are those fibers all in their natural colors, and if so, from what color angoras? Did you mix it with any other wools, or just your angoras? Gosh, it's just so pretty... between you and your husband, it must be quite the creative household!

(By the way, I asked DH if we could splurge on one of those gorgeous knives... but he recently got in an accident with his motorcycle, so fixing that takes up our extra earnings at the moment. He wasn't hurt, thank goodness, but it means I'll have to wait at least until spring to ask about the knife again).

@ Nymphadora

Thank you for the compliments on the yarn! It's all pure FA and naturally colored. Fawn on top, then REW, then chocolate. I'm stupid excited about this next Angora litter so I can get more fiber to spin.

I'm sorry to hear about your hubby! I hope he gets his bike fixed up soon, those buggers are costly. Glad to hear he'a okay though, that's often not the case. He's very lucky.

Drooling over the yarn! I want to do some woolies eventually, but not in this stage of life (althooouuugh, it could be a good project for the kids to go from animal to finished good... hmmm). Jealous of the magpie and harlie colors as well - someday... I just cut back my heard and am enjoying them so much more (6 adults, but going to cut back to 5 evenutally), but they haven't been too keen to breed, going to try some diet changes to see if that helps. Lovin' the knives, too!

I had quite a few rabbits when I was showing and it started to stress me out on who to keep, who to breed, who to sell, etc. And my rabbits weren't as social as I was hoping for with my time divided between so many. I think slowing down really helped show me that it's not necessarily about numbers so much as what you do with them. I'll be totally happy when I get my herd back over all Angora does and two angora bucks with a short hair buck for meat mutts. 8 adults is still almost more than I need, but at least I won't have to breed angora does bred as often to keep them in breeding condition, so it will be less overall rabbits. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:23 pm __________ <br /><br /> DARN YOU MURPHY!!

She kindled. I got 8 kits, mostly solid, like I wanted, and the much sought after chestnut and blue, and though momma built a beautiful nest, she neglected to pull fur and we've had negative temps. . Eight beautiful little popple-cicles. Ugh. First timers...

Thanks Homer.

Ya, I threw her back in with my buck as soon as I cleaned out the nest. Had a lot of hopes riding on that litter, so crossing my fingers this last breeding will take and she'll get it right this time. She had such a nice nest I didn't think it would be a problem, but next time I'll be sticking some shorn angora wool in the nest and possibly bringing her home for a few days when she kindles and taking her back up to the barn when I'm sure the kits are fine. (Getting the roof done so the rabbits have been living in my mom's hay barn to reduce stress... If they ever get to the roof at this point...) Time will tell. I'll just keep drooling over baby Angora pictures online until then.

PSFAngoras":2lhs1xsw said:
DARN YOU MURPHY!!

She kindled. I got 8 kits, mostly solid, like I wanted, and the much sought after chestnut and blue, and though momma built a beautiful nest, she neglected to pull fur and we've had negative temps. . Eight beautiful little popple-cicles. Ugh. First timers...

It's not just the first timers.... some moms get almost everything right... GGGRrrrr... sorry to hear about your popple-cicles.
(lost a litter a couple weeks ago)

She pulled a mouthful of wool for her empty nest box today. Hoping she'll figure it out next time, but I think I'm still going to bring her home and let her kindle here in the house. That way I can watch and make sure she gets it right. I'm desperate for wool bunnies at the moment. Even just called one of the two good breeders I know (forgot about this one until I saw her CL ad) to see what she's got. Still on the fence whether I'll get any or not, but she has REDs. Oooohh, reds! It's probably a done deal.

Of course I don't need help, I have a problem. But I'm not the one who put 15 raffle tickets in the bag for the mini lop with my moms name on them at the show... :nana: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> And when I asked hubs his thoughts on bringing in new stock. He said if I'm going to sell yarn again I might as well just get on with it instead of waiting for kits, so I'm driving up to Denver tomorrow; carriers in hand.

I'm so glad he thinks of my rabbits like he thinks of his fishing poles. What's one more?

PSFAngoras":s5mgovkv said:
Of course I don't need help, I have a problem. But I'm not the one who put 15 raffle tickets in the bag for the mini lop with my moms name on them at the show... :nana:

Yup, 15 tickets, $3.00 for a rabbit I thought your mom was going to cry for because nobody had put ANY tickets in its bag. :cry: That broke the bank but was worth it when I saw her face after winning the drawing.

latest

Good luck with your bunny hunt today!

Every time I mention you'll be at a show she just says "He better not put my name in the raffle again..." She still claims that she was just trying to get other people to put their name in the bag, not trying to win it. But this is coming from the woman who is contemplating building another hutch because I am not going to keep the tiny little chocolate buck one of the does threw even though he's super sweet.

"Try to get others to put tickets in"? Suuurrrrrre she was. :laugh2: Tell her we could come over and bring tools. We could build a triple in less than a day. :twisted: Then she'd have room for the red FAs when you get a cull. She's too softhearted. :D

She just beleives everything deserves a chance. She brought home a duck someone dumped at the dog park that had no bill. None. All that was left was stubs. The hen was skin and bones, and I told her to just put her down so she wouldn't starve to death. Boy was I p.o.'d when she didn't. But sure enough with a little antibiotics and a lot of love she turned around. She eat and drinks just fine, she just can't dabble in the water like the other ducks do. Put back on all the weight she lost, and even lays eggs. I'd have never thought it possible, but that's one happy duck now.

That being said she has recently started to cull her own chickens too, so she knows there's a balance.

Latest posts

Back