Bedding Issures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luviae

Reaction score
We have recently gotten 3 mini lop rabbits for 4-H projects/pets. They are all outside and have nice roomy pens. Since they are outside, I put boxes in the cages to protect the rabbits from the weather. The problem is now that they have been using them as litter boxes instead of a bed. I'm not really sure what I can do to encourage them to not use them as litter boxes. The weather is nicer now, but in 6 months when it's winter, it can be brutal. I would like to have them on sleep on something, so they can be off the wire cage floor, but obviously, the boxes I had aren't going to work. Any suggestions would be great!

We have members in Canada and Alaska that get to -40F with no issues. Rabbits handle cold far better than heat.

Keeping them out of the wind and sheltering form wind blown rain or snow are most important.

Our winters are pretty mild, rarely getting below 20 degrees, but I like to provide some shelter for them. This is my solution:

how-to-pot-up-a-rabbit-t6566.html

You could try putting a wire mesh sub-floor in the shelter with a slide out tray.

You could try giving them a proper litter box in the spot where the shelter is and after a month or so you can add the shelter somewhere else in the cage or the middle and hope they decide to keep using the litter box and not the house.

First take the box out and replace it with a wood mat that you can find at pet stores. If you leave the box in there with droppings in it the rabbit can eventually turn yellow.

You can buy outside cages with little rooms to keep them out of the wind also.

For the winter put a broken flake of straw into there so they can make there own burrows. For hot weather put ceramic tiles out into there cages with sanded down edges for them to lay on.

:bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back