Beautyberry??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our neighbor/tenant excitedly came up to me asking if I knew there was a beautyberry bush hidden in the brush at the edge of the yard... ummmm.... huh? A what?? My little ones were out helping her pick up sticks and they found it. I had never heard of it before, and to me it looks like something straight out of a Willy Wonka scene :lol: . But reading up on it I am fascinated, and the insect repelling properties have me sold http://www.eattheweeds.com/beautyberry-jelly-on-a-roll/ . Her and her friend cut some pieces off and are going to try rooting them - one is trying just a plain jar of water, the other is going to use soil (not sure if it's with or without rooting compound) (both are very successful gardeners). If they get them to take root they said I could have one - yay! The original bush is about 5 ft around, so I am told, so her idea of just digging it up was squashed. I have one or two corners around the house that it might be able to grow in... we have little to no shade so I have to be mindful of where I put it (I have a bunch of trees planted out back, but they are still very young so not much shade to be had by them... yet. Working on it!).

Hm, I would try another way too to root some twigs, bend them to the ground or to a pot with earth and bury a part of it, so that the end (a ft. or so) stands out on the other side, when it has rooted cut the connection with the bush.

I just made jelly from mine today. It makes a beautiful, tasty jelly. Mine is growing where it gets full Georgia sun for about 7 hours, so it may be ok in the sun if you get it rooted. Bend a few soft twigs down and pin them to the ground, like Prietler suggested. If they don't take you can just text them up again in spring!

Latest posts

Back