Bean ID? Can they cross with gourds??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check this thing out:

bean1.jpg

That is a standard 12" ruler and 8.5x11" piece of paper. I have never seen anything like it, not that my gardening experience is all that vast... DH's gma, on the other hand, has many years experience and is still perplexed. She actually wondered if it some how crossed with the long neck gourds that are planted near it (the vines are all intertwined). The only thing I was able to find that even remotely looked similar was a fava bean, but then I cracked it open and this is what the inside looks like (OK, thought the pic was better... my 3 year old was helping :lol: ). Not the large, plump beans you would expect to see for a fava.

bean2.jpg

The seedlings came from a barber shop customer - he just said here's a gourd and a bean plant. That was it. DH's gpa is supposed to ask him what type they are next time he sees him. The plant has purple-pink colored blossoms and the ants LOVE them if that adds anything to it. Not many bean pods for the amount of blossoms.

It doesn't smell like a bean, it almost has a faint onion scent to it.

YAY! That might be it! THANK YOU! And if that's the case, the 11" pod wasn't even close to maturity looking at the pitiful beans inside :shock: DH's gma said she wasn't eating it since she didn't know what it was :lol:

I planted some Hyacinth beans this spring. Didn't till, just stuck them in the ground, didn't water them at all, and the cottontails got most of them, but one plant made it. I LOVE it! Thank goodness they are self pollinated. I'm going to actually plant them in the garden and take care of them next year. Really beautiful plants, they smell wonderful, and you can eat them!

My understanding is that you can only eat hyacinth beans if they are cooked a certain way. No idea how, but it shouldn't be difficult to look up online. We didn't try eating ours and they didn't self-seed. The weather was weird that summer and they may have dried up . . . I can't remember.

MaggieJ":p5p77sy5 said:
My understanding is that you can only eat hyacinth beans if they are cooked a certain way. No idea how, but it shouldn't be difficult to look up online. We didn't try eating ours and they didn't self-seed. The weather was weird that summer and they may have dried up . . . I can't remember.

The foliage and immature beans/pods are both edible, and rabbit friendly, it is only the mature beans that cause a problem, and they need to be cooked with two water changes because they are high in cyanide.

Hyacinth beans are the same species as lablab forage, just one variety is grown as an edible/ornamental and one is grown for forage. The blossoms on mine one plant smell heavenly I really like it. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh and heritage, to answer one of your original questions, beans and gourds to not cross pollinate.

Beans are a member of Fabaceae and gourds are a member of Cucurbitaceae.

alforddm":17c4uqvr said:
Oh and heritage, to answer one of your original questions, beans and gourds to not cross pollinate.

Beans are a member of Fabaceae and gourds are a member of Cucurbitaceae.

I didn't think so, but given she had never seen them and they were so HUGE that was the best she could come up with :lol:

Back