Basic newborn kit question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Do the kits typically move around in the nest between feedings at two days old? Or is that an indication that she didn't feed them this morning like I thought she did? As I said, it's hard for me to tell whether they're being fed just by looking at their bellies, partly because of my inexperience, and partly because they're so squirmy it's hard to get a good look at them.

pick them up.

Generally speaking if you pick one up and nothing sends up red flags, they are okay.
things that would send up red flags
- wrinkly all over
- looking small in their bodies
- wet all over and smelly (momma probably peed on them)

If you just look at them in the box...

Are they sleeping? Looking content? that's a good indication that they are fine.

Red flags
- not being settled, moving around a lot, squeaking a whole lot

ladysown":2ft28ffy said:
- wrinkly all over
It's hard for me to tell. They're wrinkly, but their bellies look somewhat full (definitely not like they swallowed a grape, though). Maybe what I should do is take some photos of them and post them, and y'all can look at them and tell me.

- wet all over and smelly (momma probably peed on them)
Thankfully, mama did NOT potty in the box this morning when I took them out to her.

Are they sleeping? Looking content? that's a good indication that they are fine.
They've been sleeping most of the time, but in the last hour or two they've been moving around a lot, almost as though they're looking for something. (Mama, maybe?)

- not being settled, moving around a lot, squeaking a whole lot
They were squeaking a little bit first thing this morning before I took them out for their feeding. No squeaking since then, and they slept for a while, but they're definitely moving around now.

they move a lot. generally I think because they need to generate warmth? Are you keeping the kits covered with wool of some sort?

They sleep a lot, too :)

try this (from Brody's instructions to me): hold a kit. Take a pinch of skin in your hand from it's side/back and pull it up a bit, and twist it a little. If the kit is hydrated (eating) the skin will go right back down..even if wrinkly. If it stays up...the kit needs liquid/food. You can try it on your self by pinching a bit of skin on the back of your hand.

I've been keeping them in the house, and trying to keep them covered, but they're not staying covered all of the time. They've been mostly sleeping up until about two hours ago, even after their morning feeding.

Here are photos of the two kits. They came out more blurry than I realized--they were so squirmy it was hard for me to focus.

image.php

image.php

They look pretty normal to me. specially in that top photo. My kits that weren't thriving or being fed were looking skeletal. you could see the ribs FAST. Also, the head, which is pretty much bone, looks HUGE when they start to dehydrate.

You could take them out again middle of the day. See if she'll feed them again. Since there are only 2, she should have plenty of milk.

They tend to sleep when full and comfortable and squeak and move restlessly if cold or hungry. As with human babies, experience will help you to tell what is normal and what is not. They won't sleep all the time, even if they are perfectly fine... some moving around is normal. When you uncover them, expect some movement and squeaking. They notice the coolness (just like an infant when you remove the diaper to change it) and they complain. Or they associate the removal of the bedding with feeding and get excited.

Next time you take them out for a feeding, try picking them up beforehand and holding them upright so you can observe the belly. There should be a noticeable difference after the feeding. The top picture does seem to indicate a nice round belly. Ann's idea if taking them out for an extra feeding is a good one.

If it is 70F or more inside your house, and there are several kits, they may be generating enough heat and uncovering themselves. If they are cold they will ususally dig deeper and stay in a ball. If they are too warm, they will pull down the wool and spread out to some extent (still touching,but not all in a big ball)

I took them out a little while ago, and mama spent the appropriate amount of time in the nest box with them. I forgot to take a look at them right before I took them out, but it was about an hour after I took the photos above.

She didn't potty in the box, but I've noticed that she hasn't been covering the kits back up. It really isn't cold outside, though--temps around 50-55F (10-13C), and warmer still in the garage. I've been covering them back up myself after I bring the nest box back into the house. Now they seem to be sleeping contentedly.

Maggie, thanks for those photos! Now that I see how you hold them, I'll do the same and take more photos this evening, both before and after I take them out for their evening feeding.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm __________<br /><br />
avdpas77":jsmrqsun said:
If it is 70F or more inside your house, and there are several kits, they may be generating enough heat and uncovering themselves.
I was wondering about that possibility, as well. We keep the thermostat in the upper 70s in the house (high ceilings, lots of windows). There are only two of them left, though, which is another reason I've been keeping them in the house, especially at night.

If your house is kept in the high 70's, Trinity, the kits could be restless because they are too hot. In those temperatures in summer here, the kits typically have only a light covering of fur over them. They will burrow down when chilly and work their way up when too warm.

MaggieJ":2olcvono said:
If your house is kept in the high 70's, Trinity, the kits could be restless because they are too hot.
The thermostat is set that high, but the house doesn't really get that warm due to the high ceilings and many windows. In addition, the thermostat is in a hallway near the warmest part of the house, and the rest of the house is cooler (especially my bedroom).

Latest posts

Back