Barn security

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaggieJ":2b9sxc3i said:
Exclude the wild things and you exclude the parasite problem, for the most part. I've never had parasite issues with my rabbits, except one litter way back in 2006 (filthy little things!) that showed minor liver coccidiosis upon butchering. Meant I had to toss the livers :cry: but it was a one-time situation.

You mean you use the livers for something? :shock:
(I'm new to butchering too.)

The area of the barn walls where you see daylight under-- the best exclusion method is to lay doown heavy wire (like floor wire from cages) extended out one foot on each side of the wall, THEN cover that with gravel, soil, etc. One of the exclusion methods shown in a predator Id and Control book was to take sheets of metal, about 2 feet wide and however long you need, put a bend in the metal lengthwise, then bury it along the bottom of the wall, with the bend directed away from the barn interior-- this way, if an animal starts to tunnel under the wall, the metal actually directs it away from the interior!

Frosted Rabbits":3mu2k68s said:
The area of the barn walls where you see daylight under-- the best exclusion method is to lay doown heavy wire (like floor wire from cages) extended out one foot on each side of the wall, THEN cover that with gravel, soil, etc. One of the exclusion methods shown in a predator Id and Control book was to take sheets of metal, about 2 feet wide and however long you need, put a bend in the metal lengthwise, then bury it along the bottom of the wall, with the bend directed away from the barn interior-- this way, if an animal starts to tunnel under the wall, the metal actually directs it away from the interior!

Another good idea. I'm so glad I came here.

Barnhouse":1o3s3zdj said:
I'm so glad I came here.

Enjoy it while you can- you may not thank us when you are overcome by raging Rabbitosis, and all you do, think about, speak of, dream of, and photograph is bunnies. It can be devastating. :roll: Thankfully, you are in good company, and we will offer all the support and encouragement we can... just don't ask us to dissuade you from buying another rabbit, building another cage, posting another picture, or kissing a popple. :twisted:

Barnhouse":2lkv0wwu said:
Agreed. Possums go after rabbits??
Opossums are omnivorous, and will take advantage of any food that isn't overly difficult to get to:
Didelphimorphs are opportunistic omnivores with a very broad diet. Their diet mainly consists of carrion and many individual opossums are killed on the highway when scavenging for roadkill. They are also known to eat insects, frogs, birds, snakes, small mammals (read baby bunnies), slugs, and earthworms. Some of their favorite foods are fruits, and they are known to eat avocados, apples, clementines, and persimmons. Their broad diet allows them to take advantage of many sources of food provided by human habitation such as unsecured food waste (garbage) and pet food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecourson/5419332511/

Barnhouse":2lkv0wwu said:
Someone mentioned that wood stove pellets are the same as the pelleted pine bedding for animals, and they are less expensive.

I have lots of those here too. The bag says 100% hardwood, but somebody told me that it could still contain treated wood that might be harmful to the buns if they ate them. All it says on the bag is not for human or animal consumption.
Would this be ok for litter and/or bedding?
I don't know about it containing treated wood, but I would think that highly unlikely. CCA treated wood contains arsenic compounds, which I think would be very difficult to have approved for burning, particularly indoor burning. The ash it leaves behind contains these compounds in concentrated form (1 Tablespoon contains a lethal dose http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html), which would make it very hazardous to clean out the wood stove.

Mandatory regulations go into effect this summer in the US, though as far as I know, there are no problems to warrant the
regulations. Right now, the rules are voluntary; however, they are pretty much followed anyway, probably since poisoning people tends to be bad for business. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_pellet

The new treated woods don't contain arsenic, but they still should not be burned.
http://www.ptw-safetyinfo.ca/ca.htm
http://www.ufpi.com/product/ptlumber/ptfaq.htm
http://www.rethinkrecycling.com/busines ... wood-waste

In short, there should be no issues with you using stove pellets for your bunnies. :)

Miss M":2zb5rpii said:
Right now, the rules are voluntary; however, they are pretty much followed anyway, probably since poisoning people tends to be bad for business.

:rotfl:

The beauty of the free market system!

I don't know if it still happens but some wood stove pellets used to contain accelerants to make them start burning faster which made them questionable as safe for animal use.

Good caution, akane. I have a bunch of bags of horse pellets, so hadn't looked at the wood stove ones... I'm sure they would be labeled as such, at least here in CA. <sigh>

MamaSheepdog":r5rfqswc said:
Barnhouse":r5rfqswc said:
I'm so glad I came here.

Enjoy it while you can- you may not thank us when you are overcome by raging Rabbitosis, and all you do, think about, speak of, dream of, and photograph is bunnies. It can be devastating. :roll: Thankfully, you are in good company, and we will offer all the support and encouragement we can... just don't ask us to dissuade you from buying another rabbit, building another cage, posting another picture, or kissing a popple. :twisted:

Too late. Already infected. I started by looking for one particular breed of bunny. None to be found.
Purchased two bunnies of another breed. Lo and behold the first breed shows up in the classifieds after I bought the first two.
Now I'm getting those two also. And if you think I'm going to tell you about the OTHER two that I have on reserve well just fahgetaboutit! I wouldn't want you to think I'm addicted or anything. :bunnyhop: :pinkbunny: :lilbunny:

__________ Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 am __________

Miss M":r5rfqswc said:
I don't know about it containing treated wood, but I would think that highly unlikely. CCA treated wood contains arsenic compounds, which I think would be very difficult to have approved for burning, particularly indoor burning. The ash it leaves behind contains these compounds in concentrated form (1 Tablespoon contains a lethal dose http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html), which would make it very hazardous to clean out the wood stove.

Which I've done a hundred times this winter and I'm still here.

In short, there should be no issues with you using stove pellets for your bunnies. :)
Yeah, I don't think it will be a problem either, but I'll probably mix em with the horsey stuff.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:20 am __________<br /><br />
akane
I don't know if it still happens but some wood stove pellets used to contain accelerants to make them start burning faster which made them questionable as safe for animal use.

I don't see any evidence of that on the bag, or when handling them.
I don't smell anything but wood when I burn them either. My toy poodle has on occasion eaten one or two when I dropped a few while filling the stove and they went bouncing across the floor.

You make a good point however, and I will check them out further before I use them for the buns.
Thanks akane.

Re: Livers ... yes they are FABULOUS coated with flour and fried like chicken livers :D

I don't much like chicken livers either, but rabbit liver is a whole different experience. I just slice and saute the rabbit livers, kidneys and hearts in butter with a bit of salt and pepper. Delicious!

MaggieJ":19u952aq said:
I don't much like chicken livers either, but rabbit liver is a whole different experience. I just slice and saute the rabbit livers, kidneys and hearts in butter with a bit of salt and pepper. Delicious!

How about if I just believe you? :)

lostcreekrabbits
I like livers and hearts...... but my gout doesn't

Listen to your gout.

Can I ask, what do you all do with the heads?

Back