Bananas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarax

Reaction score
Are bananas ok for rabbits to eat?
Ive seen some people feed their rabbits small portions of banana and others will just peel it and let their rabbit nibble on it.
Ive always been afraid to feed my standard rex them because i hard it can cause constipation?

They can eat small pieces of banana, but I wouldn't give them a lot because of the sugar. Also, be sure to wash your hands after handling the bananas, or the bunnies may mistake your fingers for bananas! OUCH!

Mine love small pieces of banana, but like Trinity said I only give them as a treat though sometimes they seem to stimulate appetite in some of mine, too.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Bananas are fine and probably not as high in sugar as some other fruits. However the caution on amount still stands because they can also cause constipation and lessen gut motility. Great if you have a critter with an upset stomach causing diarrhea. Not so great if you give too much to a critter with a properly working digestive tract. Pellets and hay leaves soaked in banana puree worked really well to get my doe to eat when she was in too much pain after kindling.

Back