Babies aren't selling--any ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Granted, the pet market is variable and demand is as fickle as the Cleveland Browns.

These are mixed breed bunnies who will remain on the smaller side. I've listed them at $30 and extolled their virtues of friendliness, socialization, and health. I've posted notices in two pet stores, two community bulletin boards, on CL and on Hoobly.

Any other suggestions on how to get these babies moving??

I've moved away from pet sales completely and very seldom sell a live animal at all anymore.

Rex hides seem to have a pretty strong demand and can go for $40+ .... That's as much if not more than I can get for a live rabbit.
They are easy to move as people are willing to pay a premium for "naturally tanned and hand worked hides" in natural colors over the commercial dyed alternatives.

I also have a handful of regular customers for meat @ $25 per carcass which is about 3-3.5lbs dressed out .... and they will buy more than I can produce if I let them. They like the idea of no steroids , hormones , antibiotics or other junk and are happy to pay the price for it.

Don't know if that's an option for you , just sharing my recent experiences.

You said you tried Hoobly right? The only other thing we plan to do in this event is to bring them to a feed store that wi let is sell in the parking lot and try at farmers markets. Also, with craigslist there are 2 sections. One is farm and ranch which is good and usually where most of the rabbits end up. But I would also try switching to the pet section, and revising the ad to say you are rehoming them to downsize and make space in your rabbitry. That's not usually where breeders are supposed to list, but you can post there if you have unwanted bunnies and sometimes it will bring in different people ....

macksmom98":2b4x83ca said:
You said you tried Hoobly right?

I must have missed that bit. :oops:

I'm not sure what really sells rabbits, other than good photography.

I've posted notices in two pet stores, two community bulletin boards
Did you make sure those notices included nice photos? People fall in love with pictures..

I dunno, the (unpedigreed) jap-harlequin kits sell surprisingly well, but I never had much luck with selling just mutts. Seems like there are always too many people already selling them cheaply, or even just giving them away free.

I agree with Zass, make sure your ads have pictures, and good pics. It might seem either common sense or unnecessary to mention, but if you do take pics of them in their cages make sure the litter pans are out of sight and no bunny berries can be seen. Sometimes I add accessories and put them in a basket to "up the cuteness factor". With the holidays coming it would be easy to do a Halloween, Thanksgiving, and/or Christmas sale. Don't even have to discount them more, but use the words sale or special and it will catch peoples eyes:)

This is a common complaint I've heard recently. I'm having trouble moving my pet stock(normally only solid black kits end up sitting around, right now I have a BEW, a broken black, an opal, and a smoke pearl chin all waiting for homes), as are many of the breeders I know.

People just aren't buying many rabbits at the moment.

Bad Habit":yracnq9v said:
This is a common complaint I've heard recently. I'm having trouble moving my pet stock(normally only solid black kits end up sitting around, right now I have a BEW, a broken black, an opal, and a smoke pearl chin all waiting for homes), as are many of the breeders I know.

People just aren't buying many rabbits at the moment.

The pet market really tends to be seasonal , at least in my experience. Easter & Christmas you cant keep enough to supply demand , quite a few will sell in the early part of the year for 4h .... other times of the year , not so much.

Haven't had an inquiry about a "pet" rabbit in months.

People are buying meat rabbits.

My October sales are over three times what they were last October. Looks
like this year we'll easily sell over twice what we sold last year.

Think it might be the economy? Or folks anticipating harder times?

I think your pictures are great. Maybe it's the mixed breed that's the problem. I know that in my area, you can't give a mixed breed away but I sell my Netherlands for $80 and my Hollands for $120 both with pedigree.

I don't think that helps much but I don't think you can improve much on the photos, they are clear, bright and really 'pop' :)

I'm having a hard time selling my baby rabbits too /:
They are only listed at $20... should I lower the price? But they are mixed rabbits...

EnglishSpot":w2vat9bf said:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/5257419978.html

This is my ad, complete with cute pictures. :) The flyers have the same pictures on them.

What camera do you use?
Those pictures are magnificent!

The pictures do look great. Sometimes it's also trial and error. You might try taking the ad off and waiting a few days, and reposting a couple at a time. All areas are different but you may have better luck if you don't advertise a surplus or grouping of them. Its great to show everyone what you have but it can also make people think there are a lot of them and downplay their uniqueness. I don't know exactly what will help but its just a suggestion.

That's a smart idea macksmom. A surplus doesn't convey urgency. I forgot that when I list them one at a time rather than group they sell faster. Might be worth a try :)

I still think getting people to see them in person somehow could be a big help too. Let us know what you do and what ends up working!

Thank you everyone!

I use my iPhone for all my pictures. I use to have a camera but it was stolen and I never replaced it. The iPhone cameras take good photos and are easy to use, just don't try to take a comprehensive picture of the American West in all it's glorious details--not enough pixels.

Honestly, I wonder if it isn't their age. I can sell an 8 week old rabbit fast as I list it, anything 10 to 12 weeks will rarely sell. I think they are just as cute but I wonder if people think a slightly older rabbit won't bond to them or something. A pet shop that contacted me about supplying them with rabbits wanted them at 5-6 weeks old and I was all "no way, I don't even wean them at that age"

5 weeks? yikes!!
I don't understand why most people are not interested in older rabbits.... I actually like older rabbits :) They are usually more calm and not so hyperactive xD

Back