Register

Babies aren't selling--any ideas?

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Re: Babies aren't selling--any ideas?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Petlover500 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:41 pm

That might be a good idea, TB! :bunnyhop:
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,273.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 pm

I still think getting people to see them in person somehow could be a big help too. Let us know what you do and what ends up working!

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,198.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:37 am

Thank you everyone!

I use my iPhone for all my pictures. I use to have a camera but it was stolen and I never replaced it. The iPhone cameras take good photos and are easy to use, just don't try to take a comprehensive picture of the American West in all it's glorious details--not enough pixels.
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,715.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby dangerbunny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Honestly, I wonder if it isn't their age. I can sell an 8 week old rabbit fast as I list it, anything 10 to 12 weeks will rarely sell. I think they are just as cute but I wonder if people think a slightly older rabbit won't bond to them or something. A pet shop that contacted me about supplying them with rabbits wanted them at 5-6 weeks old and I was all "no way, I don't even wean them at that age"
DangerBunny Farm
Raising purebred Holland Lop rabbits
Focusing on our beautiful BEW bunnies!
http://dangerbunnyfarm.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DangerbunnyFarm

The following user would like to thank dangerbunny for this post
Petlover500

1 year of membership

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Petlover500 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm

5 weeks? yikes!!
I don't understand why most people are not interested in older rabbits.... I actually like older rabbits :) They are usually more calm and not so hyperactive xD

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 70.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby annatimmerman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 am

I think the problem may be that there isn't really a demand for mixed breed rabbits. Try breeding to a standard and the 4-H market will take care of any extras you have. I did this for years, and couldn't give away the "mutts". Ended up sending them to freezer camp and sticking to the purebreds. I have a wait list system and all of my babies go home around 9 weeks.
Anna Timmerman
New Orleans Dwarf Hotots
ARBA Rabbitry #D5056

American Rabbit Breeders Assoc.
American Dwarf Hotot Rabbit Club
Eyes of the South Dwarf Hotot Rabbit Club
Ark-La-Tex Dwarf Hotot Rabbit Club (District 3 Director)

The following user would like to thank annatimmerman for this post
Zass

1 year of membership

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Petlover500 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:44 pm

I have a grown mutt rabbit and 2 little mutt kits that still need homes... preferably before winter) And I don't want to have to sell them as meat :cry: :(

BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby jimmywalt » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 pm

EnglishSpot wrote:http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/5257419978.html

This is my ad, complete with cute pictures. :) The flyers have the same pictures on them.

I usually sell them like "FREE BEER".......... lately it's slowing down a bit though (maybe I've saturated the market).

I think I see something in your CL ad that I would do differently............ Don't name the bunnies. People want to name them by themselves. With you naming them they look "used". I also wouldn't have so much color going on in the back ground. The bunnies are getting lost in the pictures to my eyes.

Here's my modification of your listing text............

Seven BEAUTIFUL baby bunnies. DOB 8/12/15. Love to be held and played with. Litter trained as well! They will stay small and only weigh about 5 lbs. Only $xx includes bunny care sheet and food. They are very friendly and super fluffy. Pick up in Cleveland. POOS.

Short and sweet. Less words are better. People don't have long attention spans. Never use the word "rabbit" (sounds old), instead use "bunny". Don't tell the colors, they can see them. $30 is steep for mixed breed. I sell purebred Hollands babies for $30. Mixed around here are $10 to $15 at best. Let them calculate 12 weeks, just give the DOB. No need for a birth certificate. This isn't a papered dog or Cabbage Patch doll from the 1980's. "Fluffy" is spelled that way. We give a bunny care sheet, but we also give a bag of food (quart zip lock) so they can transition them to their food. They see "food" and might be thinking a big bag, but that's not what they get. Include your "area" of Cleveland (or closest well known neighborhood) so that they know where they have to go to get the bunny. And consider your price with the competition (check what others are selling at on CL in both "Farm & Garden" and "Pets" sections. Last thing.... Use all the Facebook yard sale websites in our vicinity to sell in too. The FB is a GOLD MINE! On CL people have to be searching for the word "Bunny" or "Rabbit", on FB your ad "scrolls" past their face as they browse the yard sale sites looking to see what is for sale. You make them (or help them) make an impulse purchase. One more thing...... always put "POOS" (posted on other sites) - I swear this causes people to "think" they have to act fast so they don't miss out to someone else.

Can you tell I have a degree in marketing??? LOL :D :D :D

OH YES............ my best idea (for baby bunnies).... I take videos of them at about 4 or 5 weeks (with a good Nikon camera - not a cell phone!!!) and I upload the video to youtube. I include the youtube link in with my ad. They see the bunnies at 4 or 5 weeks old jumping around in our living room in a puppy run and fall in love. Yes the bunnies are older when they are sold, but it's that video that pulls them in (along with my hyped up ad). :D

__________ Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:43 pm __________

Petlover500 wrote:5 weeks? yikes!!
I don't understand why most people are not interested in older rabbits.... I actually like older rabbits :) They are usually more calm and not so hyperactive xD

Same reason people want "puppies" and not as much "dogs".

__________ Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:51 pm __________

Another idea......... Monday mornings at 9AM are great times to post. People are at work, surfing the net after getting their coffee and chatting with co-workers....... I seem to get a lot of emails or PM's around this time.

Also Friday's at noon (lunch time) work great too as they surf the internet at lunch. People have CA$H burning a hole in their pockets since it's pay day. Really, anytime after noon on Fridays are pretty good! People have already checked-out at work and just wasting time till 5PM rolls around. :lol:

__________ Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 pm __________

Still not enough????????

I notice that you are also telling which are "boy"/"girl". Don't do that! Let them fall in love with which ever one their eyes catch in the picture. Let them come to your place and immediately place one of the bunnies in their hands, then tell them how sweet it is and how it loves to be held, etc, etc, etc. If you do this............ they won't leave your house without a bunny!!!!! They came all they way out to your place, they are holding a bunny.......... they aren't leaving without one!

Why do you think that car dealerships are now letting people "test drive overnight (or for the weekend)"???? They know once you get in the car, smell the "new car smell" and drive around to show your friends............ that you aren't going to drop it off the next day. You WILL purchase it!!!!!

It's all in the MARKETING!!!!!!! Market those bunnies!!!!!! If I lived in a big place like Cleveland I could have those sold and gone in under 8 hours!!!!!!

The following user would like to thank jimmywalt for this post
EnglishSpot, imajpm, Petlover500

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,175.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby akane » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

With pedigreed ND I would sell them at $20 and only ever expect half to find homes before they were too old for people to be interested. I've got a couple 2 year old bucks left that I've had listed and re-listed and re-listed in various ways for about 4months now. I get messages in bunches every few weekends but the people look at what a cage costs and disappear. I always wondered if we could figure out cheap enough suitable cages to send with them and only raise the price a small amount if we could sell many times more. Everyone wants a rabbit with full cage setup or an already altered rabbit if it's not young.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,273.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 pm

We have a local vendor that builds cages, and I was actually in talks to partner up and offer package deal with him. It would have helped both of us out, but unfortunately he dropped off the face of the earth.

I do agree a lot of it is in the marketing! And I like the idea about not naming them. It makes it seem as if someone already has ownership. And keeping the ad simple is also good. Definitely check the competitions prices, I assumed this had already been done and maybe it
has.....and for my area I still wouldn't list all 7 at once.

I also use online garage sales on fb, and haven't had sales yet BUT it does reach a lot of people. I also have a free fb page for our bunny business. It's a place to put pics, list fun facts, and show what you have for sale. Your friends can add their friends and it also reaches more people:)

Site Supporter

Post Number:#26  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

I use the names simply because I've had many people say, "I like the black and white one." Er, there are five black and white ones. LOL. Thanks for the advice, I will change up my ad!!

Post Number:#27  Unread postby jimmywalt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 am

EnglishSpot wrote:I use the names simply because I've had many people say, "I like the black and white one." Er, there are five black and white ones. LOL. Thanks for the advice, I will change up my ad!!

Great!

Maybe use "A", "B", "C" if you have to. The only problem then is if "B" is already sold and then you have to tell them that. Instead just leave the names/letters off the bunnies, invite the people over to see them, and immediately put one of the "available" bunnies in their arms............... SOLD! :D :D

Site Supporter

Post Number:#28  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:43 am

The yard sale sites on FB (at least the ones I'm aware of locally) have "no pet" policies on them, so I can't post there. The flea markets have pretty much closed for the season. There is one I could go to, but I work this Saturday. Ugh.

Earlier in the year the market was holding up the price I had listed, considering that the pet stores are charging $50 for a rabbit who is clearly not the breed it's being listed under (I always have a good laugh). I've halved the price and made changes, the video is a good idea.

Post Number:#29  Unread postby jimmywalt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:54 am

EnglishSpot wrote:The yard sale sites on FB (at least the ones I'm aware of locally) have "no pet" policies on them, so I can't post there. The flea markets have pretty much closed for the season. There is one I could go to, but I work this Saturday. Ugh.

Earlier in the year the market was holding up the price I had listed, considering that the pet stores are charging $50 for a rabbit who is clearly not the breed it's being listed under (I always have a good laugh). I've halved the price and made changes, the video is a good idea.

Don't forget that a reasonable price ($30 in my area) gives the sense of value. Sort of like women who love $200+ Coach purses (which will be a yard sales in about 5 years for $5 bucks!).

If you go too low on your price your item seems worthless (no value), and if too high no one will purchase.

1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 296.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby JJCRabbitry » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 pm

I sell a lot through my social networking page. As a few others have said above, good pictures do sell the bunnies. I have had problems in the past selling them, but I refuse to sell them at auctions/markets. I don't like the idea of where they might go. :oops: I find that if I pose them with Holiday items, like just recently I posted with Halloween items, that I get more attention. I sell both pets and pedigreed animals, and do fairly well with both. Good luck to you! :bunnyhop:
JJC Rabbitry
Selling QUALITY Flemish Giants in Blue and Fawn, Mini Rex in Castor and Red, Lionheads, Holland Lops, and Pet mixes.

PreviousNext