Average weight at process time

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryRun

Reaction score
What is the average weight of your rabbits at processing time and how many weeks out is that? We are averaging 3.5-4lbs at 9 weeks right now. They turned 9 weeks yesterday. They are on 18% pellet, hay and extras thrown in as well (veggie scraps). We can't seem to get above 4lbs at all even taking them to 10 weeks. Usually I'll process at 10 weeks and not a one has ever hit 5lbs. This is weight before dressing. Just curious if that is normal? They are Red NZ X American Chinchilla meat mutts.

It would be normal for my harlequins, but my meat mutts managed a lot better numbers.
I had some that could get 5 lbs by 9 or 10 weeks, on 16% protein feed, with lots of goodies like grass hay, alfalfa cubes, pumpkin seeds, etc...

I'm thinking 5 lbs by 12 weeks is the established norm for small scale raising, even with breeds like NZ.

We weighed our first litter of the season this week and at 12 weeks they averaged 4 pounds 6 ounces. We don't feed any pellets, and our adults (also meat mutts, started with NZW and SF) only weigh from just over 7 to 9 pounds. So we've felt that was good enough (although we're always trying to improve it). This litter will go to freezer camp next week because we have 5 other litters coming along behind at 2 week intervals.

Well we butchered our meat mutts today and all 7 were around 4lbs and they turned 9 weeks this past Thursday so I believe if I would have taken them out to 12 weeks we would have hit 5lbs maybe. We had rabbit for dinner and really they were a good size so I am overall pleased I think.

I feel there is a magic 5 pound 8 week rabbit out there, but I am really happy with 4 pounds. I always hear about rabbits that are huge at 8 weeks, and I guess they are out there, I just have not experienced it for myself. Even with my new zealands, I never hit 5 pounds in 8 weeks. Just not my experience.
Some of the claims on some of the rabbit pages on facebook, I just have to kind of shrug at. 5 pounds at 5 weeks? In a rex? Doubt it very much.

Back