Automatic Feed Dispenser

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
There is a thread about automatic watering system for rabbits, which I have known about and plan to get. I was wondering if there was anything like that to portion out feed and for a certain amount of days. I am wondering because every year in May we go to Michigan for about 10 days. My mom is disabled and I don't have anyone I trust to take care of my rabbits for me. I am thinking about taking them all with me to Michigan (I have 11 and more litters on the way) and will be keeping them in carriers, if I do. This seems a little harsh, not to mention a pain. So I was wondering if there was anything like that so that way I can go to Michigan care free. I can have my mom check on them about 3-4 times while gone.

Thanks

Rachel

You can of course build a gravity feeder for free feeding over several weeks but I don't know any way to easily portion out feed each day without someone manually doing it. Is it too much for someone to dump a premeasured amount in to a feeder attached to the outside of the cage? Usually when we go somewhere I fill a set amount of dishes or bags and number them. Then someone just has to slide out the dirty dish for a similarly marked clean prefilled one from the fridge in the case of the sugar gliders who need fresh fruits and vegetables daily or dump the premeasured bag of dry food in to the correct feeder. So long as someone is capable of walking around my cages carrying a pound or 2 at a time and can match up numbers or letters they can feed all my animals in about 20mins with the same number of rabbits as you plus parakeets, sugar gliders, and a cat. Except for days I do some cleaning I can feed and water just the rabbits in 10mins without it all being premeasured. The dogs we do take to someone's house or board because my akita insists on escaping to come find me if she isn't kept secure or with someone she knows well.

Rachel,
when you say "We go to Michigan" do you mean you go to Michigan
for about ten days? Does your disabled Mother remain home alone?
I don't think I'm getting the whole picture.
Do you not have any Rabbit Breeder friends close enough to you
that would go and feed your Rabbits for a few days?
How about paying a youth Breeder for caring for your herd for the time you are away?
Do you have it pretty well figured out? I was always under the impression
that "if you have a herd of Rabbits or any animals for that matter",
that a {Vacation} was/is out of the equation. I have your same problem,
when I have to be away for a few days I have to find someone I can trust
to care for my Herd within a close range of the care that I give them.
Of course you and I both know that there is NO ONE that will or can
give the same attention to the care of your animals that you or I would.
So, we do the best we can, we go away for the day or too and fret about
whether or not we will find our charges in as good a condition
that we perceived them to be when we left them.
It is a great dilemma to try to get away for even a few days.
Good luck with your vacation.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of paid neighbor kids actually--You have to train them, but if you start them young and for short periods, they rise to the occaision nicely and eventually you have an on-site (almost) caretaker who is very experienced, cheap, and possibly a new youth breeder into the bargain. We have great families all around us. So if I were going to be gone for 10 days I would start with having them over to help feed for a few evenings, then I would "go away" for a weekend, then the 10 days...I pay a few bucks a day and all the eggs the chickens lay while I am gone.

A few things that I think some people are getting confused about since I lacked putting it in the question above.
My mom doesn't live with me, she lives in the same town though. She would have to climb up and down 3 flights of stairs eveyday to feed and water my rabbits.
That being said, it is 3 flights because I live in an apartment, this is why I don't have someone I trust enough. Because they not only have access to my stock, but my whole home. If they were in a shed, it would be a different story.
As far as other rabbit breeders, I have only found a couple in Missouri and none is closer than an hour and a half. I think I may see if my mom will stay at my house during that time, but it is hard on her since she has a prosthetic leg. So, it seems like my options are to either see if she will do that, or to just have my husband go alone.

I assure you I am not trying to be lazy, and not knowing very many people around here seems to make it that much harder. I hope this clears some things up.

Rachel

Hiring a Pet Sitter to come to your home may be the best bet. When me & my husband went on our honeymoon many years ago we were gone for 10 days. We interviewed a couple sitters (made sure they were licensed & bonded) till we found someone we could trust. They were going to have to care for our 2 cats & our white pekin duck (all which lived in our home- yes, the duck was an indoor pet, too). We lived in an apartment at the time. She charged us $12 a day, came to our home, fed & water them according to our instructions (and loved on them, too). She did a phenomenal job (especially considering the care that "Little Bill" (our duck) required).
Doing this may be your best bet. It was definetly worth it to us.
Your other option is to board them somewhere, that is always an option, too. Do you have a House Rabbit Society near you, or some other place (like a vet) who would board & care for them?

A vet can often point you in the direction of a few reputable pet sitters in your area.

Latest posts

Back