Register

AUCTIONS!!

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,700.00

AUCTIONS!!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:35 pm

AUCTION :evil: :twisted: %T*&*&#(*)@(*

So our local Agri community centre has an auction about every month or so.
I was talked into going last night. I figured I have 28 little bunnies who are weaned.... I'll bring a couple I don't plan on keeping... (I brought 6)

Not sure why I thought this time would be different than any other time I have brought animals!!!
I must be stupid to bring animals to these things!
Last time was years ago when I had chickens.. I brought full grown roosters, I pure brown leghorn and 3 mutts (Wyandotte mixes) they ended up selling for $1 each!!!! yup.... I was pissed!!

So as you can guess, my little bunnies ended up going for $2 each... I suppose I might be a bit of an optimist. but burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me....

My only consoling is I got a great cage for a great price (I think... my friend doesn't think so)
and other adult rabbits were going for a $1.... as mine were just weaned, I haven't spent all that cash raising them to have them given away.

End of rant.
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,763.00

Re: AUCTIONS!!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Auction prices are totally unpredictable and often very low for livestock. Have you tried Kijiji for selling your surplus rabbits? At least there you have control over the price.

Be sure to quarantine that new bun for AT LEAST 30 days. Auctions are notorious for having livestock that is sick or that has been exposed to sickness while waiting to be sold.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,700.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Maggie..This was a livestock auction
I didn't buy any bunnies at the auction... (I am doing a great job of running out of cage space with my existing breeding does) :lol: :D :lol:

I just ended up purchasing a cage and feeders..... as I would have paid the price just for the feeders (full price retail.. I feel like a got a deal) :mrgreen:

I just feel like I got cheated out of the price of the bunnies (I know I could have gotten more on kijiji for them!).... I did better than some, but still!!! I have learned my lesson.... I will not be bringing more animals to auction...
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,763.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Sorry, Tricia, I had the idea you succumbed to the temptation of those $1 rabbits. LOL. I should read more closely. :oops:

Congrats on the cage and I'm sure you've got a bun installed in it already.
:bunnyhop:

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,051.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:10 pm

The ONLY thing I ever bring to auction animal wise is an animal I am desperate to get rid of and don't care what home it goes to.. (knowing that most buyers of adult rabbits are using them for food purposes).

For instance really scary mouse killing rabbit... She went to the auction as I simply couldn't hold the beast to cull her. I lured her into a cage and sold her and the cage together. I know who bought her and he buys for the meat market only, I know that she'd be culled cleanly.

NEVER sell young rabbits at an auction unless you have no other out for them. You get a pittance (not even the price of maintaining the doe) UNLESS you sell right before Easter...then around here young fancy buns go for up to $10 each) But they gotta by young and/or tiny.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 482.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dwc77 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:48 pm

[quote="ladysown"]The ONLY thing I ever bring to auction animal wise is an animal I am desperate to get rid of and don't care what home it goes to.. (knowing that most buyers of adult rabbits are using them for food purposes).

This is nice so what about the guy wanting to buy a few for breeding stock to raise for his family are you going to tell him that he just bought junk? This is way not to buy things at animal auctions :evil: And if somebody can't cull or end the suffering of a rabbit they in my opinion shouldn't have rabbits! That is the hard truth. I will say this I have been to a couple animal auctions and bought 3 hens once. But they are fun to watch people with 3 teeth holding a baby goat bidding on a runt pig. Better than Disney World to me but I hated standing in the lines :gnight: O and sorry your rabbits didn't bring more SarniaTricia.
Not sure how to get quotes to highlight?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,696.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Dwc77 wrote:
ladysown wrote:The ONLY thing I ever bring to auction animal wise is an animal I am desperate to get rid of and don't care what home it goes to.. (knowing that most buyers of adult rabbits are using them for food purposes).

Not sure how to get quotes to highlight?

I've done this on accident before as well. If you delete the end of the text you also delete the end quote symbol thingy "[/quote]" that's what turns it into the nice little bubble, if you want to make it look like that you edit the post and either type or copy the end quote thingy..

On the topic of auctions and selling rabbits. I may as well go to an auction and take $1 at least then I'd be selling them! I've posted them on the local email list MULTIPLE times, as well as craigslist, I guess it's the US version of kijiji? Along with posting them on several yardsale and rabbit sale forums. I don't understand why nobody wants Silver Fox?! Are they not a good meat breed or something? (If not please please lemme know I'll sell off all of the ones I have but maybe one that I want as a pet.)
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

The following user would like to thank ButtonsPalace for this post
Dwc77

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,836.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:50 am

Dwc77 wrote:
ladysown wrote:The ONLY thing I ever bring to auction animal wise is an animal I am desperate to get rid of and don't care what home it goes to.. (knowing that most buyers of adult rabbits are using them for food purposes).

This is nice so what about the guy wanting to buy a few for breeding stock to raise for his family are you going to tell him that he just bought junk? This is way not to buy things at animal auctions :evil:

Dwc77, for someone who just wants rabbits to raise for meat, buying at an auction should still be fine. You can breed the rabbits, keep the best out of their litters, and eventually you'll have a pretty good herd for meat . That said, I do believe in the saying "you get what you paid for", so for $1-$2 I wouldn't expect to be getting the best producing or most showable bun that the breeder has to offer. For that, I'd expect to be paying close to top dollar, and if that's what I truly wanted, I'd be happy to do so. Also, really good breeders with great lines can have culls that, compared to the rest of their stock may be awful, but to someone just starting out are pretty great. :)

ButtonsPalace wrote:I don't understand why nobody wants Silver Fox?! Are they not a good meat breed or something? (If not please please lemme know I'll sell off all of the ones I have but maybe one that I want as a pet.)

ButtonsPalace, you may be running into a number of issues with that... maybe the market in your area just isn't good for silver fox? Or there are so many silver fox breeders in your area that your buns aren't standing out? Are your prices consistent with the market?

I hope you have better luck selling them, but do you have a backup plan if they don't? Maybe wait to breed more until the last silver fox kit is sold? Or cook 'em up all yummy for yourselves! :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,695.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:45 pm

[quote="ladysown"]
For instance really scary mouse killing rabbit... She went to the auction as I simply couldn't hold the beast to cull her. I lured her into a cage and sold her and the cage together. I know who bought her and he buys for the meat market only, I know that she'd be culled cleanly.

quote]
If I had a mouser I'd let it free range.

The following user would like to thank a7736100 for this post
HOWsMom

Post Number:#10  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Nymphadora wrote:
ButtonsPalace wrote:I don't understand why nobody wants Silver Fox?! Are they not a good meat breed or something? (If not please please lemme know I'll sell off all of the ones I have but maybe one that I want as a pet.)

ButtonsPalace, you may be running into a number of issues with that... maybe the market in your area just isn't good for silver fox? Or there are so many silver fox breeders in your area that your buns aren't standing out? Are your prices consistent with the market?

I hope you have better luck selling them, but do you have a backup plan if they don't? Maybe wait to breed more until the last silver fox kit is sold? Or cook 'em up all yummy for yourselves! :)

I don't know of anyone closer than a state away at least. I suppose there just isn't a market. The only issue with eating them is I don't have the supplies to process them. I'm not going to breed until the ones I have now are sold, obviously since I barely have space for the ones I have now.. I'm just kinda annoyed that they aren't selling.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,747.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Prisma » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:35 am

ButtonsPalace wrote:I don't know of anyone closer than a state away at least. I suppose there just isn't a market. The only issue with eating them is I don't have the supplies to process them. I'm not going to breed until the ones I have now are sold, obviously since I barely have space for the ones I have now.. I'm just kinda annoyed that they aren't selling.

How are you advertising them? Pictures? What kind of wording? Unfortunately, that has a lot to do with it AND if they are TOO cheap...you won't sell at all either...same with too high.

Research who and what prices OTHERS in your area sell similar stock for. Then price accordingly and retry. Vamp up you rads to be friendlier and inviting. If you're marketing for meat buyers/breeders, point out the best characteristics of the rabbits you have. IF pets, take ample cute pictures and post about their attitudes.

Kijii is US based system off of ebay (or least that's how I found it lol). Look for local penny saver free papers to run ads in.

Auctions...boy oh boy. I bought rabbits from auctions for a long time, pitty buys. They NEVER bring a good price (even at Easter as I don't think $20 for a pedigreed baby is a good price when by the time I get feed home its more than 1 bag's cost). Health is always questionable, even if whoever brought the animal in knows it was healthy, all it takes is 1 problem animal in the group to make every single one sick.

Can get some good cage deals though...I've gotten lucky like that too. I've also bought rabbits or other animals JUST to get the 50 dollar cage they came in and dispose of the critter (either sell, butcher, free to known person).
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

Post Number:#12  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:26 am

I'll put my links to craigslist, I'm intending to sell them as both a pet or meat, I kinda try to leave it open to whoever is interested, I'd buy a Silver Fox as a pet, in fact I have an accidental pet (I say this because he was intended as breeding stock but got injured, my boyfriend fell in love with him and the buck fell in love with my boyfriend, so after working my bum off for two weeks and consoling my boyfriend who was pretty traumatized by his disabled rabbit, we now have a happy healthy bunny :)) But anyway back to the links here they are. ANY and I mean ANY advice or critiquing would be severely appreciated. I actually priced them in the middle of the prices I've saw in my area. There they both are, like I said I want to hear anything and everything you have to say, I'm not going to get butt hurt if you say something mean, I want these to be the best they can be and if nothing else, I'll make two separate posts for each one for the pet buyers one for the meat (There is a Pets section on craigslist, so I could post them there and then in the farm & livestock.
http://asheville.craigslist.org/grd/5833144662.html
http://asheville.craigslist.org/grd/5832961074.html