Arrested Development - gross picture warning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a litter this morning and found this underdeveloped fetus in the nestbox. (35th litter / 288 kits so far this year)

Doe is a New Zealand - a year and three months old - fourth litter - had 8, 6, 8, and then 9 this time.

Three stillborn but normal size this litter. She had two stillborn in Dec. All other litters and kits fine.

I had another litter that had two little kits like this. Different doe. Litter of 10 and all are doing fine.

I wouldn't be giving this much thought, but I've never seen anything like this before and now it's the second time it's happened in the past month. I checked the record and turns out that the sire is the same for both litters.

Buck is NZ and will be 4 years old in a couple of weeks. Never seen anything like this in his previous litters. He's sired more than 16 litters since Dec of 2013 (records only go back to end of 2013 - lost em all in a computer crash - go back up your data right now). Averaged 8 kits a litter. My first thoughts were to look at the buck but then I get to thinking that once the egg is fertilized, it's up to the doe to take it from there.

I do pretty well with the beginning (mating) and the end (kindling) but what happens in between is really a mystery to me. Any ideas?

HPIM14602.jpg

Sperm quality begins to decline with age. It could be some of his just aren't as good as they used to be. It's possible for mutations to happen that allow implantation and development but not viability.

Latest posts

Back