Are there white dutch with black checks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I have a buck who appears to be a dutch in every way except color. He is very blocky with heavy hindquaters and middle and has the dutch full cheeked head with short upright rounded ears. Intelligent and very good natured. He isn't full grown yet but will probably go about 5 pounds at maturity. The only odd thing for a dutch is that he is white with black checked markings. Is this an uncommon color in dutch?

It is very possible to get a variety of marked Dutch Rabbits.
The makings can vary from a few spots, to almost no spots,
to so much color as to have almost no White at all.
When my daughter raised Dutch Rabbits the mismarked
seemed to be the most sought after as pets.
So yes I believe that just about any variation in markings is possible.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

The sun came out for a few minutes so I was able to get a couple of quick pics. I haven't worked out how to download pics here yet. I couldn't quite follow the tutorial so I downloaded to backyard herds and will use the URLs. As you can see the body conformation is dutch (at least to my eyes), right down to the springy guard hair but the color is a checked pattern. I goofed somewhere. You have to click the IMG link to see the back view.
3428_007.jpg

3428_005.jpg

(edited by Ann to hopefully give you the 2 images)

Anntann":3eoeafzl said:
Very pretty boy :) girl? er..bunny. he looks like a rabbit shaped Ermine coat!
That's a new buck. I'm shooting for a mid sized rabbit herd. He is shaped more like a pig than a rabbit when you look at the top view. :cool:

Definitely not a Dutch, even with sports they don't have broken markings.

I'd say more of a Polish, but size wise I'd say Heinz 57.

That's a classic En or broken pattern not dutch. Could be a mix of any of the small-mid sized rabbits that carry broken. It seems like nearly every mutt here is a mini rex cross of some kind. It also looks a little extra fuzzy which I found my mini rex crosses come out that way with thick fuzzy wild hair. I'm guessing it's the extra dense coat modifiers rex carry without the gene to shorten the guard hairs.

Thanks for the comments and help.It was mainly those short ears and his size that made me think dutch. I think he'll be a keeper at any rate once he's proven himself. He's about the size I had in mind and has a very nice conformation for meat. I plan on most of the meat for myself with the excess going to raw feeders for dogs. That way I don't run afoul of Californias strict laws on selling for human consumption. I'll label the meat "Not for human consumption" but what they do with it after they get it is up to them.

Latest posts

Back