are rabbits "strictly" herbivorous

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone else stated: a rabbit "in the wild" will not avoid eating a bug or slug on that taste plant it is eating. Thus, some animal protein is very likely to be consumed by a rabbit eating a truly natural diet.

Having read through this, I find many statements I agree with and few I don't....and more I will ponder and chew on. I do feed pellets to my rabbits but am still hoping to get their on a 100% pellet-free diet eventually. But, I'm am still learning what that pellet-free diet can look like. I have no intentions of eating meat scraps to my rabbits -- those go to the dogs and chickens. It is interesting to consider the option of adding some fish meal to their diet if I could source some that I felt was quality -- or found a way to make it with the locally sourced fish scraps.

The information about cooking potatoes...I wonder if that would be economically prudent...

I didn't know mangel beets could make up such a large portion of their diet...interesting...

Oh, and in 3 years, I've never had a doe cannibalize her kits. I totally do not believe such behavior is diet related. I think if I were to have a doe do that, I'd cull it. Just my opinion but I think it is a mental issue with the doe, not a physical one.

Seems to me that BOSS makes a much better fat source that bacon. Flaxseeds added to sprouted grains seems popular with my rabbits as well. Just seems to me that animal fat seems a very unlikely healthy food for rabbits.

Back