Register

ARAs come in sheep clothing........

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 21,399.00

ARAs come in sheep clothing........

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 pm

My Service Dogs were stolen on the 15th. I am in a Nursing Home recovering from a surgery that has a very long recovery period. (after it heals, I should be able to walk without falling over) Anyway, long story short, the people that were supposed to take care of all the animals- well, didn't. Skysthelimit suggested new member Skinny Acres may be able to help. She came on the 12th and retrieved the rabbits. I am sent pics, daily, of one or more of the crew.
Anyway, the person I contacted for help @ the dogs, I found out a few hours after she took them, what her ulterior motive was.
Big Brother is supposed to pick up my Key so he can change the locks for me--meanwhile, as I am confined here, I am looking for another place to live, and get to enjoy the use of a computer!

So, be warned- those ARA idiots come in all sorts of guises! :x
Terry
Help keep two Medical Service Dogs in top health: gofundme.com/1yvfgk

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Re: ARAs come in sheep clothing........

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:06 am

Have you filed a police report about the dogs? :(

I'm glad to hear an RT member is helping with the rabbits... at least you know somebody Sky recommends isn't going to be a closet ARA. Thank you, Skinny Acres!
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:48 am

That is horrible! I'm so sorry!

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,316.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:06 am

why would they steal service dogs? Seriously... that's really low.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Reason I sometimes act paranoid.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Female

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:02 pm

ladysown wrote:why would they steal service dogs? Seriously... that's really low.

They decided I was not a fit owner... there are going to be a lot of charges against me--it is a real mess. In the meantime, we all need to be aware of the way dogs are procured by 'rescues' and 'shelters' and then sold to keep 'profits' high. these 2 'ladies' are really thieves-- I found out last night they have been coming back to my place and taking some of my belongings...

I have no idea what I am going to find when I can get back there.
Terry

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 565.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby rtower » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm

I can't believe people would stoop so low! I read about things like this here on RT and, for me, it's just beyond belief.

I guess that's part of living in a very remote, rural area. I realize I'm pretty naive about these activists because, as far as I know, there aren't any in my area.

But this is just beyond the pale...

Is there anything any of us can do to help? And do you have anyone who could put up some wireless cameras or game cameras at your house to record these thefts?

My younger sister has a lot of health challenges and has had service dogs in the past so I understand how important they can be in your life.

So very sorry.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,363.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Zass » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Anyway, long story short, the people that were supposed to take care of all the animals- well, didn't.

Anyway, the person I contacted for help @ the dogs, I found out a few hours after she took them, what her ulterior motive was.

They decided I was not a fit owner... there are going to be a lot of charges against me--it is a real mess.

It sounds to me like the dogs were not being cared for because someone who should have been doing it was not. Some other people came in, saw the uncared for dogs, and decided to take matters into their own hands, instead of simply caring for them at your home like they had promised to do.

The second people may have seen the dogs in a rather extreme state of neglect when they arrived, and perhaps made judgements about your ability to care for them that were not entirely unfounded.

You are after all, at the moment, are unable to provide for their care.

The real villain here seems to be the original people who promised you that they would care for the dogs, and then failed to, leaving you in a desperate situation where you were asking people you didn't know to go to your property.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe there is some way to make the failed caretakers liable for the charges...Or maybe this is a rather extreme heads up for all of us to start getting pet care agreements in writing.
Last edited by Zass on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 995.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MoonSpiritMom » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Frosted Rabbits wrote:
ladysown wrote:why would they steal service dogs? Seriously... that's really low.

They decided I was not a fit owner... there are going to be a lot of charges against me--it is a real mess. In the meantime, we all need to be aware of the way dogs are procured by 'rescues' and 'shelters' and then sold to keep 'profits' high. these 2 'ladies' are really thieves-- I found out last night they have been coming back to my place and taking some of my belongings...

I have no idea what I am going to find when I can get back there.

This is just horrid! but it's soo true when you say that you have to be diligent about these "rescues" out there. My family was caught up in a dog rescue fiasco last year when we decided adopt a rescue dog. We contacted this specific "rescue" because we had "heard" good things about it. We found a dog we liked and asked about it, filled out what looked like legit paperwork for the dog to come stay with us for a week long trial period. They didn't do a background check on us, or even come to see our home before handing over a dog to us for a week long "trial stay" to see if we all meshed. No fault of ours at all, the dog they sent us, told us was good with people, children, animals... attacked a family member!!! Later we find out that the "rescue" had been trolling craigslist and other sites like that for "free dogs" taking them, charging adoption fees, never really vetting the dogs at all, so when the dogs in their new homes were sent back because they weren't what the rescue told the new owners they would be, would put them back up for adoption (even the DANGEROUS ONES) and charging adoption fees over and over again. vet bills never paid or sometimes dogs never taken to the vet, some times even driving through the streets of the area and peeking in homes and backyards and STEALING perfectly happy, healthy, loved dogs. The rescue was "shut down"

This experience has RUINED me for rescues now. My family's name was bashed by the rescue, we were flung threw the mud.. and no doubt we could never adopt from a rescue ever again because of this. which really sucks because none of this was our fault.. we were given complete erroneous information about that dog, told it had been around farm animals and wouldn't hurt any of them, was told that it was find to be tied outside if need be (he wasn't..we chained him when we weren't home... he broken the chain and started running amok all over the place, chased our cows and sheep and attacked one of my sheep)

I really despise these so called Rescues.. they aren't rescuing anything, not doing the proper vetting of animals... they just do it for the money. come to find out later after an investigation that the president of the "rescue" was stealing from the rescue and had squirreled away over 80K for her own personal use. Fricken SAD!

Crazy people out there.. you have to be diligent!

I hope thigs work out for you though... this is just crazy!
Working on my little homestead...
13 chickens, 4 muscovy ducks, 4 kids, 2 cats and 1 dog. 5 rabbits! 1 Cali/NZ doe, 1 Giant Chinchilla/Flemish Cross Doe, 2 Flem/NZ cross does, 1 Flem/NZ cross buck!

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Speechless...

I can't even begin to imagine the stress this has put on you! I see you are in Ohio, a bit too far for me to do anything personally, but I am sure others out there will do what they can! Are the people that stole the dogs the ones you counted on to take care of them while you were gone? How did you find them initially? Just curious so we can all be aware if we were ever to be in a similar situation. My blood is boiling for you :evil:
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:30 pm

File a police report I'd you haven't already. You may need the paper trail.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby akane » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:13 am

I've been thinking I need to line up someone off the agriculture sections rather than the pet sections to have on hand for taking care of my animals. Even just times when I'm sick because my husband killed a guinea pig while I was suffering food poisoning that wouldn't stop. I've been carefully trying to bring it back to health the past 2 weeks and it was acting better before dying one random night. So far in the times I've been sick or had surgery he's killed 2 chickens, a buck rabbit, and this guinea pig. Simply a lack of attention and thinking things through. He fed it, he watered it but he missed just how frequently one of them was draining the water bottle and that one of the guinea pigs was hiding in the house far too much. It dehydrated and developed scurvy. He would have killed every last one of my bettas but I recovered enough for a day to run water tests and determine my stored water got contaminated.

Things just go downhill so darn fast when you get sick. Even when you try to shuffle around with your vomit bucket in one hand to check on things and supervise care from the middle of the floor. If you don't have a reliable person someone can come in to find poorly cared for animals easily and sometimes dead animals.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:10 pm

The original people I had to care for the animals basically only came once a day, for 5 minutes, to throw food and water at the animals. When It seemed like things were going downhill (first, a neighbor telling me @ the lack of time spent on care, then complaints about how much trouble it was) I started looking for a kennel, then made the decision where to board them. WHAT!!! after spending over $200 on cab fare and vets to get the dogs UTD on kennel required shots, Kennel tells me "Dog warden said not to take your dogs, they are dangerous" (verified with warden, who actually gave me the names of the kennels- she denies doing such a thing) THEN, find out the "friends" skipped town. Skinny Acres came over the next day- picked me up , and packed up my 4 rabbits and a bunch of cages. when I got home, I called someone into dogs I met a couple years before, and she offered to help. Little did I know, her "help" was to help herself to my property.....

So yes, everyone needs to line up responsible, honest animal care people . don't trust supposed 'friends'- no matter how long you have been caring for their bratty children, sometimes days at a time, or how doing so inconvenienced you.,..
Terry

BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 am

Wow. :( What a mess!
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Female

Re: ARAs come in sheep clothing........UPDATE

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Well, still at the rehab center--- Looks like another month or so-- I hope NOT!!!

Anyway, looks like the impending charges are not happening-- I had made a county commissioner VERY aware of the order of events, and it seems the Dog Warden is now in a tenuous position-- as she had entered my home without my express, written permission, and had not verified the "paperwork" that the two 'ladies' said they had. The dogs are 'in the wind', so to speak- neither Skysthelimit,(Gunny's breeder) nor my friend Carol (Angelica's breeder) both co-owners of the dogs, have been able to find where they wound up. The one thief blocked me on facebook, but I can occasionally jump to the other's page and see what she is up to.... When I get home, I will finalize the theft report, and have the two 'ladies' charged with theft. I have made a complaint to the DOJ @ the county refusing to recognize the two digs as Service Dogs (they ignore the ADA definition) and not upholding MY rights where the use and training of SDs is concerned.

I dread returning to the trailer, but at this point, it is all I can afford. Meanwhile, Skinny Acres informed me that Rex "Heath" is the proud father of a litter of 10, and that the French Angora "Sparkle" is one spoiled rotten little girl.
Terry

Next