Register

ARAs come in sheep clothing........

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 75.00

Re: ARAs come in sheep clothing........

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Capri » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Oh gosh, I can't count the number of animal communities aras have ruined. My own experience being blacklisted by an animal rights activist who tried to prevent me from getting a pet chinchilla years ago, because of my visual impairment and because she actually believed I would treat a chinchilla exactly the same way I would another animal of a completely different species I had at the time.

ugh!

And I had no idea she was such an ar until this one exotic pet show she and I were at.

I sold her an animal that I bought from some college student who couldn't keep her. There were issues with this animal that I couldn't figure out, and put down to maybe she would be better with a cage mate. But my own pet at the time, though surprisingly tolerant, could only take so much of this newcomer. So I sold the newcomer to this - person - who I had regrettably trusted. And a year later, she crowed at this exotic pet show that she had "rescued" this animal.

Uh excuse me? -

no.

She did not. The animal was not in danger.

The animal was not living in a pet mansion with every spare dime spent on over-priced toys and trendy pricy food. She had what she needed, but, for a cage mate, or so I thought at the time...

This person bought, not rescued the animal from me. And then she started badmouthing me to chinchilla breeders all over the net when she learned I was looking into getting a chinchilla.

Well, whether I ever got a chinchilla or not is none of that person's business, and she had no right judging me as unfit, and trying to take away a little chance at happiness/excitement, something I desperately needed at the time - all in some crusade "in the animal's best interest". If I had known then what I do now about that woman, I never would've sold the animal to her. As it turned out, she couldn't make it work with a cage mate either. The animal was mentally underdeveloped, and had some kind of vision problem as well.

That woman will never be welcome in my life again, and I will not knowingly let her near any of my pets. She has thoroughly burned all bridges beyond repair and soured me on "rescues" for good.

hopefully this person has not gone into rabbits as well, at least, I haven't seen her around rabbit communities. But even before and since then, I've noticed how vicious animal "rescues" can be toward everyday pet owners, breeders, pet stores, even other "rescues". Once the slightest whiff of an "animal abuse" rumour is in the air, the person targeted is guilty until proven innocent, and even then, most animal rights people still shout "Guilty!"

They usually try to make animal-keeping sound as difficult as possible, condemning anything that might make both animal and owner's life easier., or at least make anything they are not currently doing or touting, sound as wrong and potentially harmful as possible.

And they always put in "I adopted/rescued" whatever animal they're talking about, even where/when it isn't necessary. Even Amazon product reviews have "rescue" animal rights people who can't help blowing their own horn.

Example: (rabbit food review - rating: 5. Review: "I feed my rescued Holand lop this food and he loves it!"

Um. Why was it necessary to boast of "rescuing" a rabbit on a food review?

Even when I got my new lionhead rabbit, which was sold as a purebred Netherland dwarf BTW, I had looked at that person's other advertisements. Nowhere did they appear to be a "rescue" and I wanted an ND as opposed to a rabbit with a longer coat because of maintenance. So I was looking for NDs, and trying to make sure not to buy from an animal rights/"rescue".

However, I looked at their adverts page a month later, and found they were trying to sell another rabbit that, they first claimed was used to being handled by children, but further down in that same ad, they claimed the rabbit had come from an "abusive" home, and they had "rescued" it.

Agh!

Seriously, they couldn't even keep the story straight.

Why?

Well, too late for me finding out a month after I bought my rabbit from them. But I love my lionhead. I'll just make sure that if I ever want to get another rabbit, that it won't be from them. There was no reason to stick a more than likely bogus abuse sob-story into an advertisement. It just irritates me all to heck to find out some of my money went to one of those people. Even though I got an exceptional IMO little pet out of it.

The rabbit I bought was originally one price, eventually lowered to ten dollars less and I got her at that reduced price. Now they have a new lot, they've gone back to selling them for the higher price.

I think maybe they actually bought their rabbits from other people and resold them, marking up the price a bit. Not positive that's what's happening, this is just a suspicion.

The other thing that was weird was the girl couldn't tell me right off the bat Felicity's birth date or that she was a girl. She never could answer on the birth date, and had to check her to see she was a girl. The only other "Netherland dwarf" kit there was a lot more woolly, like an angora, and the colouring was completely different. So they should've known the answers to the questions I had.

The only reason I went through with buying Felicity was because me and my parents had driven around for ages trying to find the place, and after all that, I just couldn't go home empty-handed.

But at least this story had a happy ending. My little Felicity has charmed the heck out of everyone, she loves being around me, and I love the living heck out of her.

ARAS will steal service dogs because they believe keeping animals, and especially having them help us out with anything is "slavery". They are that twisted. They tend to believe animals only suffer when humans are in the equation somewhere.

I hope not to run up against any animal welfare/rights zealots any more, having withdrawn from practically every pet community on the net. But this place looks so much better than most. I'm glad to see there are others as sick of are ruining everything as me.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 857.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Winterwolf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Capri wrote:ARAS will steal service dogs because they believe keeping animals, and especially having them help us out with anything is "slavery". They are that twisted.

For the record, a lot of rescued dogs are trained to work as service dogs. A good example would be the large amount of pitbulls rescued from dog fighting rings that are later rehabilitated and used as children's reading dogs, seeing-eye dogs, and therapy dogs.
Misty Creek Rabbitry
Mini Lops and French Angoras
Northeast Kansas, USA
http://mistycreekrabbitry.weebly.com
https://www.facebook.com/MistyCreekRabbitry/

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Capri » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

That kind of "rescue" is already talked about everywhere. Sure some dogs are brought out of bad situations and rehabilitated, but that's not the issue except that was love to go on and on about "dog fighting" as if it's some kind of epidemic. It's illegal, underground stuff, like the sex trade, only much less common.

And there are different types of "rescue" there is the real kind where some animal is taken out of actual danger, and the person helping it out doesn't go boasting about it. Then there's the other kind, and that's what we're talking about here.

Those who think they can just police everyone else and decide who should be allowed to own what, based on wild rumours, supposition, nasty opinionated judgements, a saviour complex on the part of the "rescuer". And though not everyone in the service dog providing sector are as raving as Peta, there are still those that would happily re-circulate a "Stop them from eating dog in Korea!" online Peta petition.

And there are people who want large breed dogs banned altogether, and they'll glom on to every horrible story they can find to push that agenda. Or they'll just make stuff up.

"Don't sell (excuse me 'adopt') to so-and-so, he's a fighter!"

And along with that come photoshopped pictures and other crap.

I used to be on Yahoogroups pet groups when tons of this sliming went on. And after my experience with that bag, I know how easy it is to get on the wrong end of an ar animal cop mission when someone doesn't want you having a certain animal because of their own cruddy personal opinions.

And this is the kind of "rescue" that doesn't get talked about/exposed nearly enough.

The following user would like to thank Capri for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 pm

It's a sad comment on the state of our society where you hear more about abused animals than you do about the hundreds of thousands of children as in foster care, abusive homes, undernourished, sexually exploited the list can go on and on. Take the abused animals, put them to humanly to sleep, and use the resources that would have been spent on them to do the work that REALLY matters.

Is this a really simplistic view? Of course, it is but it does cut right the heart of the matter doesn't it?

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,363.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Zass » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:46 pm

alforddm wrote:It's a sad comment on the state of our society where you hear more about abused animals than you do about the hundreds of thousands of children as in foster care, abusive homes, undernourished, sexually exploited the list can go on and on. Take the abused animals, put them to humanly to sleep, and use the resources that would have been spent on them to do the work that REALLY matters.

Is this a really simplistic view? Of course, it is but it does cut right the heart of the matter doesn't it?

It make perfect sense to me, and it was the basis behind the city shelter system in the US for a LONG time.

Instead of rabbit rescues, dumped animals that are breeding in parks could be used to feed the homeless...The same way that trophy hunted deer in PA can be donated to shelters. A friend was telling me he'd even donated a bear carcass. I guess it can be tax write off. :shock: Who knew.

Capri wrote:And they always put in "I adopted/rescued" whatever animal they're talking about, even where/when it isn't necessary. Even Amazon product reviews have "rescue" animal rights people who can't help blowing their own horn.

Example: (rabbit food review - rating: 5. Review: "I feed my rescued Holland lop this food and he loves it!"

Um. Why was it necessary to boast of "rescuing" a rabbit on a food review?

Since it is being taught that domestication is innately cruel, all breeders and pet owners are automatically evil profiteers and/or cruel exploiters of animals.

Anyone who follows the AR belief structure cannot ever purchase an animal for their own enjoyment.

It's OK to rescue them however...
Consequently any animal that someone most likely paid money for is not a pet, but a "refugee." It needs it to be that way in order for their purchase and pet ownership to be seen as morally acceptable.

Not because the breeder or seller actually did anything wrong.

The reason they need to throw this out any time their animal is mentioned is to make sure that others who also follow that belief structure understand that they are part of the very special "rescue" crowd that should be exclusively allowed to care for these unfortunate refugee animals.
They would not want to be mistaken for an immoral "pet owner."

Not necessarily because they actually believe all the dogma, but because they do not wish to be attacked or ostracized by those who do.

This can be seen quite obviously online, as breeders and pet purchasers are something subject to a LOT of bullying, exclusion from forums, and written abuse. Sometimes even death threats. I still have no idea why the AR crowd is the only group allowed to post death threats online without repercussion.

Unfortunately, the bullying and social pressure is not limited to online activities. :(

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Capri » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 am

Oh, our news has horrible stories about abused and murdered children too, and nowhere near enough good things to report about good foster/adoptive homes. It's a world of susan Smiths out there according to the media. It's gotten to the point where Mom has broken down in tears because Dad just keeps watching that depressing idiot box every day, and I just can't stand being around it because those reports put me in a terrible downer as well. And yes, my Dad is a very negative person. I don't think he would be if he'd stop watching the constant stream of news that is either depressing or propaganda.

Feed the hungry with the animals as mentioned in a post above - a very practical idea.

The only issue I have with it is how safe that meat would be to eat. It would have to go through inspection, especially if it was wild, and particularly if it was something people don't eat on a regular basis.

I have a great series called "Canada A People's History" and it consists of a lot of excerpts from people's letters, diaries, journals, recordings of what people have said in parliament in the past century etc.

There was one account written in some journal during the Great Depression from a vagrant. He was describing the grim state of one of the soup kitchens he was unfortunate enough to have to rely on. One day, the homeless and jobless were given bear meat, and many got diarrhea as a result.

On the other hand, I do remember having partridge when I was little, it had been hunted. It tasted great, and none of us ever got sick.

We did get food poisoning from fish one night, though, and I believe that was store-bought.

So who can say?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby alforddm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 am

Hunted meat is much less likely to make you sick than store bought chicken or hamburger meat. Very few diseases are zoonotic and even most of those are destroyed if the meat is properly handled and cooked. Given the beer meat story was during the great depression, it was possibly not adequately refrigerated and then under cooked which allowed botulism bacteria to colonize the meat. Or it could have been Trichinellosis which would have been killed if the meat was properly cooked.

With any meat (and alot of store bought vegetables) there is a chance of food born disease. Who would have though ice cream could make you sick (bluebell)?

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
Zass

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Capri » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:05 am

Great point. :)

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Capri wrote:. It's gotten to the point where Mom has broken down in tears because Dad just keeps watching that depressing idiot box every day, and I just can't stand being around it because those reports put me in a terrible downer as well.

That's one of the main reasons I gave up television five years ago. Thankfully, two years ago my daughter and I started in raising rabbits. Whenever either of us are stressed, whether it be from work, school, or the general situation of the world, we go out and play with the rabbits. Or we'll give them grass time and watch THEM interact with the world. It's the best therapy ever.

My husband is an avid tv watcher, and it doesn't matter if it's movies, news, or video games, they affect his mood. What the eyes take in, it feeds the soul. I would rather feed my soul with happy bunnies rather than an action movie that depicts as many way to kill as possible.
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Capri » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Exactly. :)

A good story is one thing, with a nice balance of conflict and positivity. And wherever the subject of murder is dealt with, the kind of shows I prefer to watch are mystery/detective shows, where it's kind of fun trying to see if I'm as good a detective as the characters are. And where it's all wrapped up within an hour or two. But even then, there are things I just can't stand to watch. I'd like it if the newer shows would leave out the part where the police inform some family member that a loved one has been killed. Unless it turns out the person who's supposed to be grieving is acting suspiciously cool and turns out to be the perp or an accomplice.

Mostly, it's just re-runs of old shows I grew up with, or Sherlock Holmes/classic type stuff for me when it comes to that subject.

Other shows as well when they re-run that I grew up with and have good family values presented.

And Jeopardy is fun to watch especially with my parents. And with my rabbit on my lap.

Documentaries about ancient history are very rarely broadcast any more, but can be very interesting.

But all that stuff is shelved to make way for all the "reality" TV crapola and news that is actually propaganda disguised as information, or else sensationalized stuff for ratings grabs.

And I can't get into most movies. The plots are usually too disturbing or random, too cheesy, or depressing. There are a few that are great IMO, but they're swimming in a sea of others I just don't get.

And you are right, when you're a cuddle-bunny and a cat/rabbit lover, there is nothing quite like holding a rabbit that licks the heck out of you, to help you destress, even for a while.

Our family went through some concerning times with two people having to have surgery in the last few years.

The result was me experiencing a change in state of mind, or, something.

I started really longing for something no other human could give me, nor could my other two pets, who are just not so affectionate as a rabbit can be.

So when everyone asked me what I wanted for my bd this year, all I could tell them was that I wanted a rabbit, and absolutely nothing more. It was literally all I wanted.

And with everyone in my family doing so well after the surgeries, and me finally getting my rabbit, I haven't felt this happy in quite some time.

And, Felicity got everyone's interest and charmed the heck out of at least one FB friend.

A few family members have actually held her on their laps, and only a month after she came.

She is definitely love-spoiled, and even one of my crusty old aunts got a kick out of her flying around in her cage.

She is something everyone seems to be interested in, and that surprises and delights me, too. And she's my calming, affectionate friend when I'm otherwise alone.

There are people on Youtube and on other sites who claim that rabbits are not affectionate, that they are perpetually scared or in a state of displeasure when around us.

That's bull.

Felicity proves them wrong every day. And so did my Thumper years ago.

Rabbits can get as excited as dogs to see you, they're just not as loud or drooly about it.

This morning, Felicity did her usual, standing up full height to greet my hand. And then she had to move over to lick my other hand too as I rested it on another part of the cage.

The following user would like to thank Capri for this post
EnglishSpot

Previous