Apple Cider Vinegar?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been reading a few posts about putting acv in the water, and wanted to know if you do this on a regular basis, or just if something is amiss? I new to all of this, and I want my buns to be healthy!!

In my understanding, you do it all the time. Ratio is about two capfuls (tablespoons) per gallon.

With the mother is the best, filtered is ok. What you don't want are those big, slightly tinted gallon jugs that are simply white vinegar with some apple added.

Mothers? Not sure what you mean... but I just put the vinegar in a gallon jug of water, shake and pour. ;)

The mother is made up of fermentation byproducts that have added health benefits, some say pretty much all the benefits, and also proves your vinegar is natural, raw acv instead of the fake flavored stuff.

akane":32tsb75n said:
The mother is made up of fermentation byproducts that have added health benefits, some say pretty much all the benefits, and also proves your vinegar is natural, raw acv instead of the fake flavored stuff.

OH!!! You mean the cloudy stuff, like when you make kombucha. :)
Got it now! :lol:

I tried brewing my own ACV since I have a lot of rabbits and it's expensive to buy. I wasn't successful. I took too long. Then I tried using Kombucha, since it seems to have the desired probiotics like ACV. I was more successful with that. But it still took a couple of weeks to brew a batch and it discolored the water bottles too.
Then I discovered water kefir. I'M A CONVERT. I can brew it in a day or two, it doesn't discolor the water bottles. All it takes is the starter grains, a handful of raisins [or other dried fruit], a couple of tablespoons of sugar and I get a tasty healthy drink for me [straight from the jar] or the bunnies [a few tablespoons added to their water bottles]. I was throwing out the raisins and then realized that they were a great addition to bowls of oatmeal [after it's already cooked so the probiotics aren't killed] and the kefir grains multiply when they are happy, so I can share with others. I just sent some home with my daughter who was visiting from Florida :)

Water Kefir
Ingredients
1+ Tablespoons water kefir grains [can be usually obtained on CL or freecycle in your area. If needed can be sent through the mail]
1-4 Tablespoons sugar [can be plain white sugar, brown, coconut, etc.] I don’t actually measure it
Small handful raisins, or other dried fruit of your choice
½ Gallon wide mouth jar [can make smaller amount if just experimenting, 1 qt. works]
Plastic lid to fit the jar
Fine Strainer that will rest on jar opening
Slotted spoon that has holes small enough to hold the raisins

Directions
Place the water kefir grains in the clean jar
Add the raisins
Sprinkle the sugar to just cover the grains lightly
Fill the jar with water to the brim
Screw on the lid
Set the jar on the kitchen counter or somewhere you will notice it
The raisins will start out at the bottom of the jar. Watch for the raisin to float to the top [usually within 24-36 hours, depending upon the temperature]
You can now harvest your water kefir. You should experiment with leaving for longer and shorter times to see how much “fizziness” you prefer. Leaving it longer gives a more “carbonated-like” drink that some people prefer.
Take the lid off of the jar. Notice that some of the grains may have floated to the top with the raisins. Gently stir the raisins at the top to release the grains back to the bottom of the jar. Use the slotted spoon [or just your fingers] to scoop the raisins out. Gently squeeze any liquid from the raisins into the jar as you remove the raisins. “Used” raisins can be collected in a clean jar and stored in the refrigerator to be added to smoothies or oatmeal, etc.
You can stir up the water to collect any stray raisins before straining out the grains.
Allow the grains to settle and then place the strainer on an empty jar as large as the one that the kefir was brewed in.
Pour the water kefir through the strainer to separate the grains from it and collect the grains in the strainer.
Carefully rinse the grains in the strainer and dump them into the empty jar. Add sugar, raisins and water to start the process over.
Screw the lid in the jar of new water kefir and refrigerate until you want to use. It will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator and can even be kept unrefrigerated for days. It just gets more “sour” as it ages. Some people just like it “plain” it has a slightly sour, tangy flavor. Some prefer it sweeter, and it can be made using more sugar. Some like to add fruit to it for a fruity beverage. Feel free to experiment.
Over time you will notice that the grains multiply and you can split them in half and start a second, third, etc. jar. Or you can share with a friend or offer them on CL :)
I have a used laundry detergent pump bottle that holds 3 quarts of liquid and I fill this with water kefir and keep it unrefrigerated next to the sink where I fill my rabbit water bottles. I refill it every couple of days. It dispenses about 2 Tablespoons per “pump” I put about 3 pumps per 64 oz. water bottle. I used to put less but I decided that I wanted them to have more since I am drinking it full strength myself :)

katiebear":hs9agdtk said:
Your recipe says water kefir grains..what is the difference between the water grains and the milk grains?

They have the same probiotic benefits but just like the title indicates, one is used to culture milk and the other culture is brewed in water.
The water kefir grains are apparently more versatile.

Here's a website that discusses them

http://waterkefirgrains.com/milk-kefir.asp <br /><br /> -- Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 pm -- <br /><br /> Wanted to let those who might use the water kefir in your rabbits' water.
I have been noticing that many of my rabbits,especially the nursing does [they drink alot more water than the other rabbits] had been having very soft stools. So much so that the droppings did not go through the cage floor and thus a big mess was accumulating in the cages:(
I have cut back the amount of water kefir I put in the water from 6 TBSP per gallon to 2 TBSP per gallon and the problem seems to be resolving.

caroline":abowtlqx said:
Wanted to let those who might use the water kefir in your rabbits' water.
I have been noticing that many of my rabbits,especially the nursing does [they drink alot more water than the other rabbits] had been having very soft stools. So much so that the droppings did not go through the cage floor and thus a big mess was accumulating in the cages:(
I have cut back the amount of water kefir I put in the water from 6 TBSP per gallon to 2 TBSP per gallon and the problem seems to be resolving.

Thank you for letting us know, Caroline!

I had a doe that I wanted to breed for the first time and she was very aggressive towards the buck. I read that if you put acv in the water it would help her out. I thought what the heck and tried it. A week later and she was a different rabbit. I have no clue if it had anything to do with the acv but who am I to argue.

I might try the kefir. I'd have to find some, there is nothing listed on CL and freecyle is useless here.

I haven't found any significant benefit for ACV, other than raising the cost of keeping rabbits once I went past 10. If the kefir is easier to make in higher quantities, I would be happy to give it a try.

caroline":2863qh3v said:
I'd be glad to mail you some grains. I think they would do OK unrefrigerated for a couple of days

I would really appreciate that :)

I wish you could mail me one of those Rex too. With Nationals being on my side of the world, I should have thought about it sooner.

Back