Register

New Title: In Indy

Discussion of rabbit shows, news and events and tips about showing your rabbits.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,550.00

New Title: In Indy

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 am

Just wondering if anyone here is going to the convention in Indianapolis this fall? If so will you be showing? I will be showing Beveren and possibly American.
Last edited by Ozarkansas on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,386.00

Re: Anyone going to Indy?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 pm

I wish! I'm in Arizona though, so that's a bit far for me this year.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,156.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I had planned on it. I just decided to redirect my efforts to Angora Nationals 2018 which happens to be a lot closer to me. May, Reno, Nevada.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,320.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I might be going! I'm pretty close, it's just the scheduling is my issue. We'll see. :D

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,293.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Random Rabbit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 am

We made the decision to not go this year. The one in 2018 will be closer to home.
Plus... all these little Wooly rabbits are so far Out of coat.. that i do not think they would be able to hold their own at this time.

We did go to Indy in 2011 and What a Show it was ! High numbers in every breed. Beautiful rabbits anywhere one looked.
I highly recommend going....if only to look and observe.
Jersey Woolies
CM Homestead
https://www.facebook.com/cmhomestead

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:11 am

Random Rabbit wrote:We made the decision to not go this year. The one in 2018 will be closer to home.
Plus... all these little Wooly rabbits are so far Out of coat.. that i do not think they would be able to hold their own at this time.

We did go to Indy in 2011 and What a Show it was ! High numbers in every breed. Beautiful rabbits anywhere one looked.
I highly recommend going....if only to look and observe.

This will be my first time attending, and I think it will be worth it! Sorry to hear not very many other RT members are going, but I can post pictures so you guys will know it happened ;)
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby faiththequeen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 am

I really want to go. Just to check it out. I've never been to a convention. What's it like? Are they allowed to sell there? Or only the show animals allowed?
Faith the Queen :king:

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 am

faiththequeen wrote:I really want to go. Just to check it out. I've never been to a convention. What's it like? Are they allowed to sell there? Or only the show animals allowed?

Well I've never been, but I hear it is "breathtaking", 20,000 rabbits and their owners all in one place! You can google ARBA convention and click on images to get the idea of what it's like. Yes people sell there, but you can't take your rabbits home until the last day, and you have to have a permission slip from the seller to take their rabbit out of the show room. I am assuming that rabbits there are probably expensive, but are also the best lines.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

The following user would like to thank Ozarkansas for this post
faiththequeen

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,673.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am

I've only been breeding and showing for 3 years, so I don't feel I have the Rabbits for the "big" show!

Also, I'd have to plan vacation time around a show like that!! (I already have all my vacation stuff planned for 2017 and my hubby isn't really a rabbit person, so he wouldn't be interested in it...lol )

I would like to send one rabbit with a friend to show... but, not sure if its worth the trouble for someone else to show my rabbit :D
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am

SarniaTricia wrote:I've only been breeding and showing for 3 years, so I don't feel I have the Rabbits for the "big" show!

Also, I'd have to plan vacation time around a show like that!! (I already have all my vacation stuff planned for 2017 and my hubby isn't really a rabbit person, so he wouldn't be interested in it...lol )

I would like to send one rabbit with a friend to show... but, not sure if its worth the trouble for someone else to show my rabbit :D

I only feel like I have rabbits for "the big show" because I have a rare breed and convention winning lines. And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,386.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby SableSteel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm

faiththequeen wrote:I really want to go. Just to check it out. I've never been to a convention. What's it like? Are they allowed to sell there? Or only the show animals allowed?

So many rabbits. When I went to my first convention, I just could not fathom how many rabbits there were in one room. And then it turns that was only one room, the smallest of three that held rabbits that year. Only rabbits entered are allowed in the building; some people keep their extra sale rabbits in their hotel room with signs and contact info in the main building. Other people just enter all their extra sale stock and add the entry fee to the price. If they really don't want it shown (only there to sell) they enter it and then scratch the entry so they still have the coop. (entry fees and transport are one of the reasons the rabbits there are more expensive). Edit: also, animals are not allowed to leave the building at all under the show finishes, so if you buy an animal you have to come back after convention to get it from the show room.

Ozarkansas wrote:And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:

Ugh, I feel you there. It's quite a pain getting there when you have school. I used to be big into royalty and I had to skip a week of school for convention each year. ARBA used to a have a letter to schools that you could print and hand in, saying with the convention was and why you should be excused, but they don't anymore. I never used it anyway; luckily my school was pretty relaxed about that.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
faiththequeen, Ozarkansas

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Ozarkansas wrote:And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:

SableSteel wrote: Ugh, I feel you there. It's quite a pain getting there when you have school. I used to be big into royalty and I had to skip a week of school for convention each year. ARBA used to a have a letter to schools that you could print and hand in, saying with the convention was and why you should be excused, but they don't anymore. I never used it anyway; luckily my school was pretty relaxed about that.

I'm homeschooled so it's not a big deal, but it must be hard for people in school and people who have kids in school. I'm trying royalty this year, it sounded like fun to me! :D
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby faiththequeen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Well, my husband and I just decided to make a little overnight trip of it and I just booked our hotel!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait to see it all :mbounce:
Faith the Queen :king:

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

faiththequeen wrote:Well, my husband and I just decided to make a little overnight trip of it and I just booked our hotel!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait to see it all :mbounce:

Great!! :D :D
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

The following user would like to thank Ozarkansas for this post
faiththequeen

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,293.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Random Rabbit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Visitors are most welcome.
Yes, rabbits "may" be sold there ... but ....
#1 They must be entered in the show. the $17 entry fee Will get tacked onto the price.
#2.... a great many exhibitors seem to price the rabbits sky high as "Convention Rabbits"... never-mind the actual Quality of the animal. :(
#3 All rabbits entered in Convention Must stay until the closing day when all are released.

Now... if one makes arrangements with a particular breeder, Before the show opens... Sometimes one can take possession of the rabbit Before it goes Inside the building. Once inside, it will be there for the duration. The sponsoring clubs for the various Conventions are pretty strict about animals being sold Outside the venue. They do Not want a flea market atmosphere.

If You can go... Do ! It is kinda mind-boggling... the size of the show. Just about every National Breed Club will have a booth with items to sell and raffles. And there are all sorts of equipment vendors with everything and Anything rabbit.
Jersey Woolies
CM Homestead
https://www.facebook.com/cmhomestead

The following user would like to thank Random Rabbit for this post
faiththequeen, Ozarkansas

Next