Any way to tell if a buck is sterile?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
It's been HOT here this summer. Our rabbitry has frequently been over 95 degrees. We keep fans blowing on them constantly and they always have frozen water bottles, but still, that's hot.

Our buck bred one of our does without a problem in late spring. Five minutes, two very dramatic fall-offs, then a litter of 7 a month later.

Now that the kits are pretty well weaned, we want to re-breed. Problem is, the buck can't seem to make it work. The doe has seemed receptive but he just keeps trying and never seems to make it.

Does that mean he's sterile from the heat, or just that we need to try a few more times?

Is there any way to tell if the heat got to him? And if so, is there any way to know when he's fertile again?

How do you know hes not making it work? 0 fall offs? I would guess it is more the heat just causing him problems. Like its too hot for him to mount and breed as long as hes wanting or needing and gets tired much more quickly. The only way to know for sure is to try for a breeding and wait 30 days....its not fun but we are all doing it this time of year....

Correct, no fall-offs. It's been cooler the past few evenings but I know there's a cumulative effect to heat and it takes a while to recover, so maybe it really is just a lack of energy. I guess we'll try again and see what happens. Maybe bring them inside for a while or something first?

Maybe try first thing in the morning, before the heat picks up? Maybe his energy will be better then. And just keep trying :cool: . Keep track of attempts, whether there is a fall off or not. I have had surprise litters when I didn't think the buck had any success at all - doe never lifted, you could see him flipping and flailing all over the place from under the cage, and 30-ish days later? Babies! :roll:

No way to tell if he's potent at all, even if he does hit the mark. The only way to tell is time. You could try rebreeding after a couple weeks (watch for grunting from the doe, sign of possible pregnancy), but still put the nest box in at 28 days from initial meeting because you never know what they might do!

I don't know if it will work...but I plan on seeing IF I can actually see with a slide film on a microscope if I can see wigglers. I have a buck I kept in an outside hutch (never thought I'd try to breed him BUT of course that's not what happened). It is either due to injury that's healed OR heat....if its the old healed injury that's the problem I want to know so I can move him along for sure. IF its just the heat well then he's turned into a looker and I really really want a boy from him that's not decided he was the big bunny in the barn and tangle with a 10lb neighbor ugh.

Maybe microscope? I have a dog breeder friend that does that, not sure how much difference in size but its worth a shot...especially if it gives me a better clue on who has more mobile sperm (hence healthier) vs not so much.

It might work, and would be interesting to know how it goes. Just trying to figure HOW you are going to get them on the microscope to be able to do that tho, lol :? :mrgreen:

Also-you could always bring him inside in the A/C to breed and see if hes more excited and able to once cooled down a bit...

It'd take a couple of months of AC to even possibly do that, once they go from heat it can take 3 months on average of cooler temps and continued use to clear out the plumbing ugh...one reason why I moved into a building lol.

Easy peasy, he is the happiest buck on the property and getting a smear from the doe won't be hard....he misses a lot and well there is ample to test lol. One reason why I'm wondering if its the healed injury that's the problem vs heat....we shall see. I get slides next week from my order :)

For the OP, has your buck gained some weight? I find that if a buck manages to get a little extra fluffy, often his mojo disappears. Keep 'em lean and mean for best results. In my experience, heat sterility is manifested by zero litters or unusually small ones. It seems like the youngest bucks are least affected by the heat, so I'll try to use the youngest buck I have around after having several days in a row under 85 to 90. Often that works.

He might be a bit heavier than when we got him. This trio is our first experience with rabbits so I'm still learning the ropes. He usually has some feed left over in the morning. Should I cut back a little at a time until he's eating everything we give him?

Its usually consistent high temps, but that rule doesnt apply to everyone. You cant assume that all will be sterile, I know a few people who have had luck or unwanted litters...

For bringing them inside, I meant if heat was a factor as far as affecting their libido....I have brought a pair of ours in on occasion, and once they get cooled down they seem to be more excited to jump on each other and more in the mood:) It is correct that it would take up to 3 months for any sterility to be corrected, that is much more of an obligation, for housing them in the A/C.....

Latest posts

Back