Any one use a Trail Cam

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milby

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Trail Cam or other type video recorder to keep an eye on your rabbitry? I'm thinking about placing a trail cam in my back yard to see what kind of preditors I have lurking at night if any. Any recommendations for an affordable one?

We have one. It's nothing special... I think we ordered it for about $50 from Walmart. It has a picture mode and a video mode.

It is installed under our back wooden steps, peering out between two steps.

I am getting ready to put one to use, especially after the carnage that I walked out to in the rabbitry area this morning. Needless to say, I am out all 4 breeder buns, 3 newborn kits, one that was awaiting freezer camp and had 2 does that were due to kindle within the next week. The wire cage was 4 ft up off the ground, enclosed in a wood stand and was torn from the wood stand to the ground, drug around a tree....my poor babies were tortured! I can only imagine a dog, as all 5 were left in the area of the attack and only 2 appeared to have any visible wounds.....So a game cam and rabbitry/chicken coop fort knox it is! Anyone have any recommendation on brand of game cam?

It was the worst carnage I have seen yet! I have new plans for the cage, as we had just built the stand and the cages. I am rebuilding, with hardware mesh for the whole cage this time instead of just the floor. And I am going to run electric fence wire around the bottom part of the cage bottom where a dog/fox/any other animal that wants tasty bunny meat would place their paws or grimy face and I am going to run it on the chicken pen too, top and bottom to just be on at night. Hopefully between that and the trail cam we will be alerted to any other threats. We begin cage rebuild tomorrow, and I am on the lookout now for some breeding aged does/buck. I had 3 babies in the nest box, and the other 2 does were due soon....so I am not only out my 4 breeders and a meat, but also the babies as well.

We anticipated when we moved that we would have more predator attack attempts because we are in the middle of 46 acres, but my goodness.....they have practically wiped me out!!!! We moved with 50+ chickens/chicks and I am down to 16 grown and I have 25 5 weeks olds and 21 in the incubator.....heres to hoping that I can solve the problem. I am disappointed to be starting from square one, as it seems that the buns had just gotten into a routine of easy breeding.

The cost of moving to a semi remote property in VA I guess!

Back