Any guesses to what colors to expect?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what colors to expect if and when I get baby bunbuns :) I have no clue about what colors run in their lines. Not sure if these pics will be helpful or not.. hope hoping for some guesses :)

Here is my doe Ruby, not sure what color she would be, I just say Grey lol. She's very pretty but at times can be on the nasty side, I'll use her for meat rabbits for our dogs but won't keep any for future breedings or pets. I was told she is flemish/satin.

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:16 am __________

This is my other doe Ebony. She is a nervous rabbit but she's not aggressive. And she is so soft! Also was told flemish/satin cross. When her fur is parted it's a Grey color. Solid black belly. And she has Grey on the bottom of her feet. I think that's cute :)

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 am __________

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:25 am __________

Here is our buck, thumper. He's my daughter's mini rex. His color is cool, it's brown with darker brown. When he was younger, he was just that lighter brown. As he's aging the darker color is showing up around his eyes and on his ears. He won't always be our breeding buck, but for now he's what we're using. His fur doesn't look the greatest, it's choppy looking because his brother had started beating him up so we had to separate them.

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:33 am __________

And this is chips another mini rex. He is thumpers brother. Both he and his brother are extremely sweet and very friendly. For now we are only trying to breed thumper to the girls. Once they have buns we will try chips. Just to see if we can get different colors :) I have 2 family members that want pet bunnies. So if we get any nice looking bucks from ebony (the sweet doe) I'll make sure we hold them a lot because they will be going to homes with kids.

I like the color of his brother thumper but only has a few spots of color. chips has lots of color I just like the brown better.

So yeah those are our bunnies. Any guesses as to future colors from kits would be cool :) any info on what rubys color is technically called would be helpful along with thumpers :)

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:34 am __________

Lol oops ignore that extra T in the title. Dunno if a mod can fix it or not?

What I see...

Ruby - agouti and dilute. Pretty muddy but too much white to be Opal so I think blue sable agouti or possibly a smutty blue chinchilla

Ebony - self and black

Thumper - agouti, black and broken. Not quite right for a chestnut so maybe steel or harlequinized :shrug:

Chips - self, black and broken

Ooooo.. thumper could be harliquin? That would be cool. How would I attempt to prove this out? Keep a doe and breed it back to him?

Also what's muddy and smutty? Do they mean the same things or are they completely different? I've read many things about muddy and smutty but I don't see what they are talking about lol

Thank you very much dood for your reply. I appreciate it, lots!!! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 pm __________ <br /><br /> Tyvm MSD for the edit :)

If you get kits with more colour and less white from him the harlequin gene should be more evident

They mean the same thing and are used to describe a lot of brown tones in the fur

Dood, thank you for that very clear explanation on smutty/muddy. I appreciate it!

And I'll definitely pay attention to the litters (if and when I get some lol) I'm sure I'll be posting pics for your opinion when they come :)

:up:

I'm thinking thumper is a broken tort or maybe a torted harlequin. The reason I think this is that the ears appear pretty solidly colored and the eye color seems to be even. Also, in what I can see of the color along the back, I don't see any black.

I had ruby down as silver tipped steel. Having seen others comments I'm still convinced of the steel (surely too much dark on the belly for plain E?) but less sure on the chinchilla.
For thumper I think black tort and charlie (or false charlie).

I was thinking steel too, but I'm not 100% on the silver tipped part. In some pics she looks more like a squirrel, and in other pics I see more cream/beige shades like an opal.

Hi everyone, I didn't realize there were more replies to this thread. :)

I don't know if this info will help at all but thumpers ears were that lighter brown when he was younger. As he's maturing they are getting that darker color to them.

As for Ruby, what kind of lighting will help with figuring her color? Should I bring her outside and snap some pics?

Can't wait to get babies and see what they will look like :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Hi Dood.. so there was some different opinions as to what ruby was. Seeing some of her babies, do you have a better guess now? Steel? Silver tipped steel? Squirrel? Chinchilla? Opal? Blue sable agouti? Blue chinchilla? O

Im just trying to get it right for my records. Which is just a piece of white lined paper for now lol but im starting to have a hard time remembering who is from who and what breeding.

Latest posts

Back