Anxious About First Time Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&SFarms

Reaction score
She was bred February 15th. I'm not the best at palpating but I was pretty confident I felt something 13 days later.
Gave her a nest box almost a week ago and she went to town, hasn't made a mess of it since and was fidgeting with it a few days ago.
But we're on day 33 now and nothing. I added some raspberry tea to her water, gave her a small lavender bud, a little rosemary... nothing. She doesn't seem uncomfortable (honestly, I think she's loving all this extra attention). She's definitely more round, her nipples are bigger than usual but I'm not sure she's producing any milk yet. She hated me trying to feel for babies this morning and I'm not sure if I felt anything? Haven't seen or felt any kicking?

Am I being too impatient? What are the odds I'll have live babies? Or is this just a really convincing false pregnancy?

I would give it a few more days. Maybe tonight. Maybe not. They can fool you, but you are doing right by assuming she is bred.

*fingers crossed for you*

False pregnancies usually come and go long before Day 33. Just be patient and leave the nest box in there. . . What's a few more days at this point?

You could offer her a TUMS (calcium-based antacid) to give her a calcium boost. It will do no harm and may help if she kindles.

I've noticed in the past few years that more and more rabbit breeders are reporting does going past the usual 30-31 days. It's possible that there is a reason for this trend of which we are yet unaware.

Marinea":vqzo7rg2 said:
I would give it a few more days. Maybe tonight. Maybe not. They can fool you, but you are doing right by assuming she is bred.

*fingers crossed for you*
She's right! And I just had the exact same thing happen... wasn't expecting babies anymore, but left the nestbox in because I'd feel super guilty if she just had them late. Sure enough, as soon as I figured there was no way she was pregnant still, she surprised me with a litter of 8! :x

MaggieJ":vqzo7rg2 said:
I've noticed in the past few years that more and more rabbit breeders are reporting does going past the usual 30-31 days. It's possible that there is a reason for this trend of which we are yet unaware.
:shock: You’re right, there have been more mentions of late!

MaggieJ":2l7kq9te said:
That is interesting.

Her mom was very reliable about going to day 31, I think I just assumed she'd follow suit. This is the first homegrown doe I've bred, I'm sure I'm a little over eager =P

alforddm":352gs187 said:
I think it could be the result of more people keeping and breeding does that go late. I bet in the past, those does were culled.
That's an interesting thought... I've been debating keeping a kit from my latest doe's litter, but now that you mention it...

It would make sense, since we expect good mothering habits to be passed on, as well, right? :oops:

That said, as long as they are consistent, I don't mind waiting 35 days instead of 31. What annoys me is when one time they kindle at day 30, the next time on day 35, then 32, and so on... :roll:

How's your doe doing, S&SFarms? :)

Nymphadora":3oga2pip said:
alforddm":3oga2pip said:
I think it could be the result of more people keeping and breeding does that go late. I bet in the past, those does were culled.
That's an interesting thought... I've been debating keeping a kit from my latest doe's litter, but now that you mention it...

It would make sense, since we expect good mothering habits to be passed on, as well, right? :oops:

That said, as long as they are consistent, I don't mind waiting 35 days instead of 31. What annoys me is when one time they kindle at day 30, the next time on day 35, then 32, and so on... :roll:

I don't know. I haven't put much focus on whether or not a doe goes on day 31 or not. As long as she doesn't go before day 29. Maybe I'm more lax but after dealing with my own pregnancy that went 43 weeks and horses that varied.....

I think my window would be 29 to 33 days on average. I'm also dealing with a lot of puzzle pieces right now so my leniency is a little more than it usually would be. My goal would be to push for 31 days though.

Another thing is that i've noticed with my own rabbits, that small litters tend to go a bit longer than large ones. Just to clarify, I don't think day 33 or 34 is overly long. It's those who claim they have a doe that constantly goes to day 40. I'd cull that right quick (although I'm still somewhat skeptical).

alforddm":39kji82g said:
Another thing is that i've noticed with my own rabbits, that small litters tend to go a bit longer than large ones. Just to clarify, I don't think day 33 or 34 is overly long. It's those who claim they have a doe that constantly goes to day 40. I'd cull that right quick (although I'm still somewhat skeptical).

There could be a connection with that. I wish I took better records last year (or at the very least could find them). Some of my does were bred to a buck I later found out was ill. I bet they went longer, most of their litters were small 6 or less and had difficult times. This year we are trying to breed for larger litters. Does anyone know an article that talks about that? Litter size in relation to health/feed/ect.

Nymphadora":20gxdiut said:

I got excited when I checked earlier this morning, she pulled some more fluff for the nest, but nope. Nothing. She is taking her sweet time.

I don't necessarily mind the waiting, I'm just a worrier.

alforddm":3jwni9oh said:
Just to clarify, I don't think day 33 or 34 is overly long. It's those who claim they have a doe that constantly goes to day 40. I'd cull that right quick (although I'm still somewhat skeptical).
With my girls I'll consider anything between day 30 and day 35 "normal"... but I'm not exactly an old pro, so of course I still get overly excited or anxious when they're approaching their due dates. :oops: :p

S&SFarms":3jwni9oh said:
I got excited when I checked earlier this morning, she pulled some more fluff for the nest, but nope. Nothing. She is taking her sweet time.

I don't necessarily mind the waiting, I'm just a worrier.
Aww, don't worry, I am too! So far everyone here has been a right calming influence for me... :group-hug2:

Zass":1tktewue said:
Guardianoasis, body fat is one thing that seems to be in direct connection to litter size.
Breeding a doe back sooner after a small litter often helps.

Really? Hmm I'll have to make note of that then with these upcoming litters. I've still got one stubborn doe that won't breed.

I offered tums last night, she just dug them out of her dish. Dissolved a little in her water and she's been happy to drink that.
Still no babies though :(

She moved some hay around and I offered her some more, which she added to her nest. She wouldn't be keeping her nest up if she wasn't pregnant... right? Which one of us is crazy here? lol

S&SFarms":1esi5qga said:
I offered tums last night, she just dug them out of her dish. Dissolved a little in her water and she's been happy to drink that.
Still no babies though :(

She moved some hay around and I offered her some more, which she added to her nest. She wouldn't be keeping her nest up if she wasn't pregnant... right? Which one of us is crazy here? lol

We're all crazy, in varying degrees... no but seriously. I think she may continue to try and make a nest even if she's not. Today would be 36 days right? She's a first time doe. It wouldn't surprise me if she keeps trying to build a nest even if she's not. Have you picked her up lately? Does she feel heavy? With milk?

guardianoasis":1hc9p8q9 said:
Have you picked her up lately? Does she feel heavy? With milk?

A little heavier than normal, but maybe just 'been eating extra oats and BOSS because I thought she was pregnant' heavy, you know? I figured it would be a small litter, so her not being huge made sense. It's weird, her nipples definitely got bigger/rounder, but I don't think she was quite at milk production yet. (or maybe I just wanted to believe, lol)

She's still maintaining the nest and I'll leave it in until day 40 but I'm officially doubting it.

-
So it's later. And I decided to go ahead and take her back to the buck, to see if that'd kickstart anything if there still was anything to kickstart. She was more eager to breed than when I tried 36 days ago :roll: Got a very dramatic fall off too.

Back