another take on spicy orange rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
I really like the spicy orange rabbit recipe but it is a bit messy as finger food. Today I butchered a 9 week old which weighed 4.3# live and dressed at 2.3#. I deboned it and cut into stew meat size chunks. I made the sauce and let the meat sit in it for about 4 hours as a marinade before baking at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Delicious and no messy fingers or bones to deal with.

Attachments

• deboned spicy orange rabbit 2 .jpg
    deboned spicy orange rabbit 2 .jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,174
That looks amazing! :p

This is what I don't get about resting and rigor, though... theoretically, that meat should have been really tough, shouldn't it?

We had the spicy orange bunny last night as well. It has turned into a favorite. :) I may try it this way but I like dinner to last more than five minutes. My grand kids would inhale it without bones to slow them down. :lol:
Miss M maybe the citric acid in the marmalade? or the seirichia (sp?) that stuff is very spicy..

Miss M":3hq9z0fd said:
That looks amazing! :p

This is what I don't get about resting and rigor, though... theoretically, that meat should have been really tough, shouldn't it?
That's what I keep hearing but I have never "rested" nor hung any meat and the rabbits I've eaten were all very tender. I butcher a rabbit the day I intend to eat it or it may rest in the fridge in salt water one night at most. Deer and elk I process as quickly as I can get it done so that meat may rest two days or three at most. I've never had any complaint with tough meat nor "gamy tasting" meat. I think the gamy taste some people complain of comes from not getting the meat, skinned, cooled down and processed quickly, well that plus not making a quick, clean one shot kill.
Deboning a rabbit is definitely more time and effort than just quartering it up but I like the end result and will do more in the future. I don't expect I'll ever get it down like the chef in the video but I do hope to improve. :D

Back