Register

Another newbie

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Another newbie

Post Number:#1  Unread postby themiddle » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi I'm Brady. And actually, I'm pre-new to rabbits. I've been intrigued by raising meat rabbits as a healthy hobby for a while but I'm still too busy finishing building my house on just under an acre and I'm looking forward to getting a lot of use out of the space. No questions or anything yet, just saying hello and getting started researching the building, buying and all that fun stuff.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Re: Another newbie

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Marinea » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Welcome to RT!

It's always wise to plan ahead. Read through the forums, get a game plan, and share it with us. Lots of smart folks here with great ideas who love to help others get started.

Off topic, but how about some house details? Love construction.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
themiddle

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Male
BunnyBucks: 495.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Knacker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello and welcome.

Researching and planning beforehand is well worth it. Lodging, feed source and of course availability of breed are all important. If you start small, learn from it and then proceed to expand you will be miles ahead of others.

The following user would like to thank Knacker for this post
themiddle

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 890.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Stephanie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:23 pm

I did the same Brady. I joined here in Dec 2014 to learn before getting set up. I actually got my rabbits the following August. And I have a litter of 7 atm that is almost 5 weeks old. I've learned a great deal here just reading through old threads. And, I've found a lot of helpful advice with questions I've asked. Welcome!

The following user would like to thank Stephanie for this post
themiddle

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 995.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MoonSpiritMom » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Welcome! I'm new here too! I don't have Rabbits yet either, but came to the board for some encouragement and advice before hand.

I'm hoping to finish setting up in the next few weeks so that i can get some rabbits by March (if not before) My husband and I have been discussing this back and forth for a few years... and I was not keen on meat rabbits.. since i used to see them as pets (had some as a young teen, many years ago) and I have had wild rabbit and it just didnt sit well in my stomach. But the more i learned, the more i thought.. you really can't pass up the opportunity to try. the economic value of rabbit meat, as well as the health factors.. is just to much to ignore! So i made a bargain with my Husband, I would help with the rabbit meat project, as long as i got to have a rabbit of my own choosing as a pet. He agreed, and voila! here we are! of course i end up falling for Standard Rex and now i want to breed them and possibly show them.... but i think I'll actually get one first.. lol

Anyways!! the members here are soo great! you will enjoy this forum!! i do!!
Working on my little homestead...
13 chickens, 4 muscovy ducks, 4 kids, 2 cats and 1 dog. 5 rabbits! 1 Cali/NZ doe, 1 Giant Chinchilla/Flemish Cross Doe, 2 Flem/NZ cross does, 1 Flem/NZ cross buck!

The following user would like to thank MoonSpiritMom for this post
themiddle

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Brady!

A backyard set-up for meat rabbits is one of the best things you can do for yourself . . . and I'm very glad to see you are doing your research before jumping in. It will make the whole process so much more rewarding and enjoyable for you.

I'd just like to add a word of thanks for your generosity in contributing to the cost of keeping this forum up and running. We appreciate your help more than we can say! :)

Hope you enjoy your time with us . . . and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better soon!
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
themiddle

Site Supporter
Male
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby themiddle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:56 pm

Marinea wrote:Welcome to RT!

It's always wise to plan ahead. Read through the forums, get a game plan, and share it with us. Lots of smart folks here with great ideas who love to help others get started.

Thanks for the welcome! As far as the house goes, it's a little 650 SF 1 bed 1 bath with a 2 car garage attached. It used to be a daylight basement before my house burned down in 2013 so it's mostly underground with heated concrete floors and I'm trying to make it super energy efficient. Not a whole lot of room, but perfect for just me and my dog Lucy:)

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 pm

Welcome to RT!! You'll love it here (even if you never get to the rabbits LOL)
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

The following user would like to thank EnglishSpot for this post
MamaSheepdog, themiddle

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 am

themiddle wrote:
Marinea wrote:Welcome to RT!

Thanks for the welcome! As far as the house goes, it's a little 650 SF 1 bed 1 bath with a 2 car garage attached. It used to be a daylight basement before my house burned down in 2013 so it's mostly underground with heated concrete floors and I'm trying to make it super energy efficient. Not a whole lot of room, but perfect for just me and my dog Lucy:)

Sorry about the fire, but the new house sounds coolly "hobbity".

*pats Lucy on the head*
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi Brady-in-themiddle!

:welcomewagon:

Lucky you to have found RabbitTalk before even starting on your rabbit venture- I wish I had! No matter how many books you read, nothing compares to the years and years of experience of the rabbit raisers here.

Sorry to hear that your house burned down- that must have been devastating. :( I am intrigued by your basement house... we have a basement as well, with a subfloor above, obviously, so what have you done for roof pitch? Did you forego that completely and have one of those "living roofs" that you can plant on? Or, dare I hope, will you be building a structure above- a palatial bunny barn, perhaps? :mrgreen:

Obviously, you have a survivor mindset, and I think that you will enjoy the satisfaction of raising rabbits for your own sustainability immensely.

Thank you very much for your donation to RabbitTalk as well, especially given the financial loss you suffered with your home. That was very kind, and I know that all of our members will appreciate your helping to keep the forum running. :D

On a side note, our neighbors also have a daylight basement, and they have a beagle named Lucy. :lol:

I hope you enjoy your time here at RT, and look forward to seeing your progress in your meat rabbit journey!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson