Another failed litter, am baffled

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So I have a senior doe - has had litters in the past for her previous owner but none for at least 6 months and poss much longer.

She didn't kindle on the first breeding.

She produced three kits on the second breeding but they felt cool to the touch in the well furred nest, moved very little, and were dead two days later.

She made a half-arsed nest this time, spat a mouthful of fur into it and that was it, no kits.

Of all the herd she is the grumpy one, grumbling and grunting at the buck, the rabbits that have adjoining cages, now and then at me but she is a color that I want to keep in the herd so if I can just get one litter out of her, result. I am beginning to suspect there is something actually wrong with her but she looks perfect, is active, eats like a hippo, drinks plenty and is lifting for the buck.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

michaels4gardens":3e507w0c said:
sorry, I don't have any idea...

:lol: Ah well, am in good company then!

I have put her in a 4ft by 5ft cage with a different buck - she never has liked Monty - and she went grumbling round the cage as Abyss looked at her with clear amazement (he has only met the young doe he normally lives with) so I watched them both for awhile.

She decided she liked him so snuggled up for him to groom her and after that, they both flopped in the built in nest box together.

No idea if they ever bred today or not but I will keep them together until hmmmmmmm, July 1st. If no kits by then, pretty or not, she is out of here.

Bloody stroppy thing tried to bite me for petting "Her" buck at dinner time! :shock: She missed because I could see what she was up too. :twisted:

There is just something that bit off about her and always has been. She just is not happy. Fingers crossed this helps, she seems much more relaxed in with Abyss than ever before.

Back