Another Eye!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey RT! You've seen no shortage of eye problems lately, and here's another: This kit is otherwise healthy and active. Ears are clean and no nasal discharge. Eating well. I've sequestered her for now. I don't even know if this is illness or injury. The white spot is not a reflection; it's on the eye. There is a milky white discharge around the eye and a red ring. After these pics I used a warm compress to clean the eye.

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg <br /><br /> -- Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 am -- <br /><br /> I'm pretty sure the eye is blind, but it looks better today. I'm going to keep using warm compresses to clean the eye and hopefully the kit can battle the infection. I look in books and at pictures, but all these eye maladies look the same to me. I don't know if it's recoverable or not. We'll find out soon enough!

Is this a kit?

Mine is a kit he or she is blind but I got rid of the infection. Will it return? It might but so far so good.

I've got a NBE kit with the white spot and eye goo, and I'm using my daughter's pinkeye drops on it (Vigomax) and picked up some Terrimycin at a rabbit show today. The Vigomax is doing the trick of clearing up the infection, reducing swelling, etc. I'm hoping that the white spot is just damage that will repair itself with the lack of infection. Eyes heal really well given time.

karenl":1xtdi2fk said:
Hey grumpy how are you doing? Great to see you back posting.

I've had better days....thanks for your concerns, Karen.
Major neck surgery is behind me and (oh so slowly) I'm on the mend.
Again, Thanks.

Grumpy.

This is a kit, born March 30. Here's an update: I used the warm compress three times a day for about a week and the eye cleared up nicely! It is not, as I originally thought, blind at all. My method was to open the eye and wipe out the goo, then hold the warm washcloth on the eye for about one minute, then wipe out any more goo that the heat drew out, and repeat until I got no more white stuff. The i returned the rabbit to quarantine.

A few days ago, I returned this kit to the hutch. The eye remains clear and no other rabbits have infected eyes. Their cage is separated a bit from the other cages and I always touch these rabbits last when working. When I butcher this lot, I will, as Grumpy recommends, torch the cage.

Latest posts

Back