annoying it is.... when people

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
offer you $5 for a $20 rabbit.

I asked... how do you think that's a reasonable counter offer?

I don't understand people like that....

the one I like is.
I will give you $20.00 for all of them. when there is 7 rabbits in the pen.
then quickly followed up with, after all they are just rabbits.

my responce is: that will be $140.00 please. and no they are not just rabbits.

the answer I got back from the person was....but that's all they are worth. All they sell for at the sales is $5 for that size.

I said then go ahead. at the sales you find junk rabbits that people just want to get rid of.
You take a chance that you might bring home a sick one that will wipe out your herd.

Mine come with a health guarantee, permanent support and are the result of careful breeding.

Based on their response, it seems to me they are looking to breed some rabbits they can sell for $5. I bet they have sales barn experience.

Stick to your guns Ladysown. Not sure I would want to sell to someone looking for a $5 rabbit.

The ones that drive me nuts and this of course doesn't only apply to rabbits but anything you might sell, the person who tries to chew you down on price then when they FINALLY settle on a price they pull out this huge wad of money to pay for it! :x

I wouldn't want to sell to someone who thinks rabbits are worth $5 because they're "just rabbits". That sounds like someone who wouldn't really care about the care they gave the rabbits they got.

*sigh*

I recently sacrificed three growouts to help make peace with the one neighbor we had only just met (because their horse jumped the fence... "no, that's not my horse in the picture"... okay, whatever, but it's amazing how similar that horse in your yard looks... didn't say that though) -- the neighbor about whom we've heard all sorts of *cough*wonderful*cough* things. Anyway, we live next door, and we certainly don't want to be at war, and they are the type who would be all too willing to war.

So we reached out in peace instead. He asked about rabbits for his daughter and niece and nephew for Easter, and we sent him home with three rabbits. He gave us a pack of deer sausage, and then showed up the next day with a just-killed wild turkey. Haven't seen them since, which is fine, since we don't trust them any farther than we can throw them.

I hated sending the rabbits with them, especially since it was painfully obvious they knew nothing about rabbits. I gave them a rabbit care sheet and some food, but I have no idea how the rabbits are doing now. :(

My poor little sacrificial bunnies. :cry:

I'm sorry... that was way :eek:fftopic:

But I was sending them off with a purpose... however, just having someone who didn't think enough of the rabbits to recognize that some are better quality and worth the expense... :angry:

How about put them on the list for any dead kits at $5 a piece. People may sell a single rabbit for $5 just to get rid of it, but I can't see anyone breeding them and selling them for $5.

I don't haggle and don't like people trying to haggle the price. When I say it's a price that means it's set in stone. $20 is asked $5 is offered and a hearty laugh with a counter offer of $20 is replied with

There was a time when $5.00
was a good price for a very young Pet quality rabbit!
But, that was at least 40 years ago!
Feed did not cost $15 plus dollars for a fifty pound.
I'm giving away my age, but I can remember when
Rabbit feed was: $8.00 for a 100 pound bag.
That was before OSHA stopped allowing #100 Lb bags.
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

mystang89":algo12v3 said:
a hearty laugh with a counter offer of $20 is replied with
Or she could laugh and counter with $25. :twisted: I've heard of people doing that.

It's insulting to offer 1/4 of the price given, and then to reduce your hard work to the level of your average pet-shop mutt.

mystang89":2p8r9njw said:
I don't haggle and don't like people trying to haggle the price. When I say it's a price that means it's set in stone. $20 is asked $5 is offered and a hearty laugh with a counter offer of $20 is replied with

I'm with ya there. I don't think I've ever paid any less than the asking price with every rabbit we purchased. We've done package deals, but even then it was "How much would it be if I bought a trio instead of a pair" type of thing. Then I would still pay whatever was quoted.

See I have no issues with haggling....I have issues with low-balling.

I have issues with demands that I reduce price.
I have no issues with questions asked of...can you give me a better price, or could you knock $5 off?

I have issues with...you gave me a discount NOW can you drive for two hours and drop bunny off for me at this time FOR FREE.
I have no issues with you gave me a discount, but could we meet half way at a mutually convenient time and I'll give you $5 for gas.

but low-balling, demanding people I get frustrated with very quickly.

ladysown":164chbba said:

Remember Cedar, the Beveren I saved from being sold to "the snake man"? The lady was asking $5 for her "or whatever you think is fair".

I gave her $20 bucks.

Obviously, I'm not much of a haggler either. :roll:

I don't even respond to people who insult you with lowball offer...
I can see a discount if you buy more then one, but even then not 75% off.

If they are looking for cheep rabbits it's probley snake food or someone who can't afford to keep it and then they will turn around and try to sell it.

MamaSheepdog":3ukpupcv said:
ladysown":3ukpupcv said:

Remember Cedar, the Beveren I saved from being sold to "the snake man"? The lady was asking $5 for her "or whatever you think is fair".

I gave her $20 bucks.

Obviously, I'm not much of a haggler either. :roll:

LOL, I've got to remember you when I go to sell something! :p

Miss M":3ukpupcv said:
mystang89":3ukpupcv said:
a hearty laugh with a counter offer of $20 is replied with
Or she could laugh and counter with $25. :twisted: I've heard of people doing that.

It's insulting to offer 1/4 of the price given, and then to reduce your hard work to the level of your average pet-shop mutt.

lol, I like that. Think I'll keep that in mind if I sell a rabbit again.

I saw an ad on craigs list today, it was for meat rabbits a few towns away.
I reconized the phone number and e-mail address she put both in the add.
this person has tried buying rabbits from me in the past and she is always tring to low ball me.
after she has the price she wants to pay, she always asks for extras.she wants more feed, more hay,any cages that are not being used.and of course any free rabbits I am willing to part with.

So today I felt I would return the favor to her, just to see if she likes the game being plated on her.
I e-mailed her asking what type of rabbits she had. and how much she was asking for them.

she told me she had white rabbits, and if I knew anything about rabbits, I would know white rabbits are the best meat rabbits.
she wanted $15.00 each, she also told me to call her as the phone would be faster than e-mail.

I called her from my sons phone. I asked her why so much as they were only rabbits, and she was selling them to be eaten.
she said because these were pure bread white meat rabbits, they were worth $30.00 each, but because she had so many,
she was lowering the price to get rid of them. I asked how many she had. I was told 6. 5 boys and a girl. So I told her, seeing how you want to get rid of them. I will give you $7.00 ea. for all of them.
She said they were $15.00 ea. firm. so I told her I was buying in bulk and I could find other rabbits on craigs list for $5.00 ea. and I was willing to take them all.
she said if I was willing to give her $12.50 each, she would lower the price, but only if I took all of them.
I agreed to the price, and asked if she would take a credit card or a check. I could tell she was starting to get upset
by the tone in her voice. She told me CASH ONLY !!! so I agreed to cash only. an asked her how soon could she have them butchered and delivered to my house. She hung up on me. LOL

I usely do not bother with known low ballers, But this time I knew who she was, and what a PITA she has been to me in the past.
I really hope she enjoyed getting some of her own tactics thrown back at her.

If someone starts whining about the price of quality stock just say "The price reflects the quality". I have never had someone low ball then agree to a reasonable price so I dont respond to low ball offers. I also dont mind those who try and haggle a better price but it needs to be done respectfully and reasonably.

CWD that is a awesome story!!!

ottersatin":af82ovik said:
There was a time when $5.00
was a good price for a very young Pet quality rabbit!
But, that was at least 40 years ago!
Feed did not cost $15 plus dollars for a fifty pound.
I'm giving away my age, but I can remember when
Rabbit feed was: $8.00 for a 100 pound bag.
That was before OSHA stopped allowing #100 Lb bags.
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

Yeah, I can remember when a bag of the original Purina Rabbit Chow "soared" to $6 for a 50 lb bag. My goodness, I couldn't even buy 100 lbs. for $10 any longer. LOL!!! It took a lot of aluminum cans, coke bottles, and raked leaves to keep the feed bill offset, too.

No, wait a minute. What kind of outdated, archaic society did I live in which stated that an individual had to work for something to ever have anything?

Ladysown, just stick to the stated price. Chances are they are sale barn groupies, or they are turning around and reselling them at 2-3X the price either for pets or for snake food.

Back