Angoras?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I have never had and an angora BUT I have had Jersey Wooly and now raise only French lops. I love to crochet and have thought about have ONE angora for the wool to spin. However I do not want to spend much on a spindle (if I am using the right term) I would also not be apposed to making one if this is even do-able.

I am wandering how Difficult they are to care for and want any advice on spinning and the processes as well as if you think it is worth the effort. Thanks

I don't know what kind of volume you are wanting to do, but I have tinkered with a drop spindle and it's pretty fun (plus it's portable!). There is a group on Ravelry that does larger volumes - enough for sweaters and things - strictly on drop spindles. Might be worth a smaller initial investment to see if it's something you enjoy doing, then you can save up for a larger spindle. Etsy has a lot of options to choose from, with a wide variety of price ranges. I think I paid $22 for the spindle, a pretty cardboard carrying/travel/storage tube, and a batch of starter wool ready to spin. There are different styles as well... and like so many other hobbies, it's easy to get going on a nice collection of them ;) :lol:

Oh that's a cool idea especially if they have a little bit of starter wool, that way I could see if I really want to get a rabbit for the wool. I was also reading that the rabbit wool might have to be mixed, not sure I want to deal with that. :(

I am actually in the same spot. I will be getting my first Angora in the next few weeks. I was supposed to get him this weekend but the transporter decided not to make the trip. I am a bit apprehensive about the grooming requirements of this rabbit but I have already decided to devote time for grooming several times a week.

I bought a spindle with a book and wool. But it has not arrived yet so I am anxiously waiting. Not sure what I am going to do with the yarn since I don't knit or crochet. But thought it would be a good hobby to try.

Back