Angora stripes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
My Angora has striped hair, and I was wondering if lots of Angoras do or if its a rare thing.
When you spread the hair apart every quarter inch changes to light gray or dark gray.
I just thought it was interesting.

Farm Girl

aren't the bands cool?
lots of breeds (it's actually specific colours) have those bands - I was just watching franklin's long locks in the breeze - he's a multi-coloured rabbit

I'm actually not sure that any of my current rabbits are all one colour ... I'll have to look - for sure the 4 here vary ...

Agouti is a colour pattern that comes in 5 or more different varieties (Black, Chocolate, Blue, Lilac, chinchilla (chocolate chinchilla etc). you typically hear them as Chestnut, Amber, Opal, Lynx etc. It involves having three different colours on a single hair shaft. And on wooled breeds, the ring colour (or different colours on the hair shaft) will be more visible.

Agouti is the basic dominant colour of a rabbit. It looks like the "wild type" colour. There is black based and chocolate based and then the same but with a chinchilla modifier added which will change red to white. In angoras the wool is long so the bands are streched out and may look dilute. In a Rex they are very concentrated. There should be 3 rings when you blow into the coat, slate gray near the skin, a red or rufous/tan and then black on the ends for a black based agouti anyways. If you post a pic someone will be able to tell you exactly what you have.

http://www.minkhollow.ca/MHF/doku.php?id=farm:rabbits:rabbit_genetics#agouti_group This has some pictures of the various colours but they are of Mini rex. Sorry I can't seem to find the usual links that also have pics. I will try for something better later on (have to go get some hay and dog food lol)

Latest posts

Back