Angora Rabbit Bald Spots

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkalgren

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought two angora rabbits (adults) a couple months ago and my BEW English Angora is now getting bald spots. I brought him to the farm I got him at and she helped me with the mats. I did groom him and he was quite matted, but now he is licking his fur and coming up with bald spots. He was so beautiful yesterday and today has three bald spots.

I have seen something that says that this is normal, but he is licking it...and the fir is not around the cage. I don't want him to get wool block. First photo is of him yesterday after being groomed on Friday. I did work on him some more right before this photo was taken. He looked good (other than his little weepy eye). I don't think he has fur mites as I don't see anything...maybe a little bit of dry skin.

Any input from those who know would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Hope you got your little guy cleared up, but you were sold a sick rabbit!

The bald spots ARE fur mites ... a rather serious infestation in fact. I would suggest finding a local vet for treatment!

The weepy eye indicates an eye infection that is similar to nestbox eye and can be treated with opthalmic gel Vetricin that can be found at farm supply stores such as Atwoods/Tractor supply, or local feed stores.

I would also recommend you do not buy anymore from that particular breeder as either they don't know how to keep their herd healthy, or they have too many!

I would also recommend that you take some of his poop (fresh as you can get) to the vet for a "fecal float" test to see if he has coccidia too. (Bet he does!)

This type of situation really frosts my you know what after being on the receiving end from a local breeder of coccidia not once but twice!!! Arrrrggghhh :x

Back