Angora coat gene?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pongo

Reaction score
I think angora is recessive ... which should mean if mum (angora) was bred to a long haired rabbit her litter should be all long haired ... right?
if she was bred to a short coat who carried long in his gene pool she could have long and short coat kits ... correct?

or she could have all short coat kits all of whom will carry one recessive gene for long hair ... I think?

I ask as I can't get a handle on the 7 week old popples coats - they seem fuzzy for short hair kits ... but I haven't had angora kits before so I'm not sure how fluffy 7 week olds usually are ...
nearly time to decide if anybody is staying to keep Momma company or all are beinng rehomed ..

Sounds like you have a good handle on that one, Pongo. UNLESS, like in alpaca, a long coat(suri) is known as a 'fatal dominant'- Where even though the coat gene is dominant,having that show as a phenotype leads to death- in the case of alpaca, the suris are prone, believe it or not, to hypothermia. The same could be said of the rabbit coat- imagine what would happen to a wild rabbit if it should have an angoras coat. Now I'll be up even longer, trying to find how the long coat genetics work in lagamorphs!!!

Um, I do know that you have to be careful in cold weather, as the long coat can become a trap, freezing to the cage or water dish when it gets wet.

This is a english/french kit at just over 4 weeks.

image.php

http://rabbittalk.com/blogs/anntann/files/2010/07/whitekit-1024x967.jpg is about 3 weeks. You can see the fine fluffy fiber starting to show up.

The fiber/coat gene is recessive, so you won't see it in the first generation of a cross (or so I've been told). But it does crop up now and again as hidden genes filter down.

Yes, if your long haired doe is bred to a long haired buck, they'll all be long haired. If she's bred to short haired with no recessive long hair, they'll all be short. If bred to a buck with long recessive, her kits can be anything :)

The wool gene is recessive, so any breed with wool excluding Lionhead (because they're different) when you breed a wool to Wool you get 100% wool. wool to normal fur you get 100% normal fur that carries a wool gene. Wool to a rabbit that carries the wool gene you'll get about 50% wooled kits, and 50% normal furred kits. The Wool gene can also hide for several generations (As seen in the cases of Fuzzy Netherlands and Fuzzy Hollands).

I had a Wooly doe who I was convinced was sterile because she had been bred to every single one of my wooly bucks without producing, bred to her a Mini Rex to make sure (of course she had a litter) and 2 recessive genes (Rex X Wool) created what you would consider normal fur except it had crazy thick density and the texture was odd. (In case anyone was wondering)

folks, here is a kid that learns by doing!!!!! Not many around with that capacity. Must come from good genetics.

Uh-0h-- that means Wilma could be carrying 'fuzz' as well as those blue eyes I already know she has hidden!!!

PhoenixFarm":3w4aaamd said:
folks, here is a kid that learns by doing!!!!! Not many around with that capacity. Must come from good genetics.

Uh-0h-- that means Wilma could be carrying 'fuzz' as well as those blue eyes I already know she has hidden!!!
:lol: Can't wait to see what she brings into the world :)

glad I was right :)

the kits are what, in a dog, I'd call rough coated .. some rougher than others - I will work with them this weekend and see what I can figure out - I think the little black with white ears is just adorable ...

of course I'd better sex them I guess

2 are long long coated - angora coats - one of those has one ear up and one down as of right now - OMG - he's the darker brown popple - just freaking the cutest thing EVEH! The little black with the white ear is the other angora coat. Normal ears. Also DARLING!!
2 are short slick coated babies and 4 are just a little fuzzy - weirdness .. but all are sweet as can be - come running as soon as they see me ...

Latest posts

Back