amusing "facts" page

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
so i am net surfing for a specific rabbit colony idea if anyone has ever posted about doing it on the net.. but i see this one thing pop up in the search, so i click on it just to humor myself. it has alot of true facts.. and several not so true..

"Rabbits eat any vegetation within reach, including grasses, growing trees, tree bark, small herbs and agricultural crops.

Rabbits can have babies at age 6 months old. They can have 20 to 40 babies a year. Litters of 3 to 7 young are produced, at five-week intervals, from January to late summer.

Rabbits weigh from 2 to 11 pounds. In the wild their longevity averages 1 year but captives live about 10 years."

so as i am sure yall are also thinkin.. "ehhhhh ya not so much" so here is the page: http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_facts/Rabbits.htm

i am also finding several not so true things on the other animals listed...

Actually I don't see too many problems. They are slightly off on some things but not a lot.

Rabbits do forage on all sorts of plants from crops to trees and bushes to wildflowers and herbs to small amounts of fresh grass. You can feed a domestic rabbit just that.

They actually are underestimating what rabbits can have for litters unless they are just talking about wild rabbits. Their seasonal breeding schedule is a bit off for domestic US rabbits since in summer it is usually too hot and many breed through fall with some in warmer climates or with really good does breeding through winter. I crunched the numbers and with my does in colony being bred back to back March through June and Sept through Nov with the odd litter surviving summer and winter I got 90-100 kits per doe per year. I chose to use 5 as the average litter size. My meat rabbits with more NZ and some checkered giant had litters averaging more like 12 with the record being 20 but I also had ND and MR with litters of 3-5 and the pure champagnes averaged 5.

2 to 11 lbs is just a little off. It's the average size for most breeds but I have a 1lb ND buck at 3years old and I had a 15lb meat brick champagne buck. Pretty sure giant breeds can top even that.

There are minor problems but really there's nothing there that would be a big issue for the type of person who is going to read it. I doubt it's people looking to breed especially for meat so basic averages work just fine for their purpose.

Back