American doe kindled!! (obligatory picture)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
day 32! and she delivered 7 fat apparently healthy popples!! :mbounce: 5 blue, 2 black. Bessie is black, carries blue; Sam is a blue. She's being very attentive, but let me check the kits and wasn't overly concerned...just very watchful. She delivered without any fuss, very little mess.

DSCN3102-1.jpg

DSCN3101.jpg

The blue sort of stays like that. The pink obviously darkens as the coat comes in. The blue is very blue grayish. I'll take a shot of Sam tomorrow with a color comparison chart next to him of some sort.

Black is not a showable color, but I believe it's actually where the blue came from originally; and then there were a lot of outcrosses when the breed was in peril of extinction.

The showable colors are Blue and White. Blue is a dilute black. (genetically). This black doe is from a blue buck, so she is a Dd (BLACK/blue). The blue is a dd (double recessive). at least..that's how I THINK it works. Even the black kits should be less likely to throw a black in the next generation, I believe. We'll see. Unless someone really really wants one, I won't sell the blacks. The doe is quite a nice girl.

What did they use as out-crosses that were full colour? It depends on what you cross those black kits with what they throw. If you breed the black to a blue you will get the same odds as in this litter; 25% black 75% blue.

Back