American and Beveren question about breeding ages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So. They're BIG rabbits. I know I've read that you wait to breed until the does are a good size, but to breed before a year of age?

Is there a weight idea (as I've seen for some other breeds) where you want to breed "about XX weight"? The buck, of course, was ready months ago :mrgreen: and is, in fact, the proud papa of the little blue furry TANKS that Ethel kindled. The American jr. doe is quite large now, and a solid chunk. The beverens are slimmer, but just as high and long. I'm fairly certain that the American is 7 months old. the beverens are maybe 6months? (I don't have birthdates for them yet)

Is there a negative to waiting until they're closer to a year old? (none of these three will be shown as juniors)

Thanks. That feels right...They're a longer bodied animal than my New Zealands, and it's been worrying me. Two of them certainly seem to be ready from the look of the vulva. The American White is going to be introduced to Sam (American Blue buck) this week, I think.

my does get put in with a buck at 3- 4 months of age. if they arent bred by six months than they get gone. my pure calif. took 7 months. i only tolerated that one time. its not something i want in my rabbits.

Not meaning to insult any intelligence here, but I barely even breed my netherlands at 4 months... Let alone a large rabbit that, generally, won't be even up to 60% adult weight by 3~4 months.
You never experience loss from breeding too soon? o_O; the practice seems odd to me.

I was surprised to learn this too, but part of the practice of breeding when they hit X pounds or 80% of adult weight is to avoid dealing with internal body fat around the ovaries. If you breed early you avoid that problem. To me this makes sense. AND if you breed in groups you help to minimize "stupid young doe losses".

So for larger meat breeds the general standard is 6 lbs (from what I've been hearing).

my does will be heavier than 6 lbs when bred, they hit 6 lbs at 11-12 wks of age. these are crosses, and at times i use crosses bred back to a pure buck.

its all about numbers, and feed conversion. they will breed at 3 months, 4 months is the best time. anything after that, i begin to wonder about, these lines were bred, to start breeding early.

LADYSOWN is right. you wait much longer and you start to have problems with them breeding up. sitting around waiting, is not a good method. and any losses that do occur is minimum and to be expected of any doe and her first litter.

ShadedNightRabbitry":1ti9402n said:
Not meaning to insult any intelligence here, but I barely even breed my netherlands at 4 months... Let alone a large rabbit that, generally, won't be even up to 60% adult weight by 3~4 months.
You never experience loss from breeding too soon? o_O; the practice seems odd to me.
:D
My beverens and americans (and the NZ) all hit 6lbs by 4 months. Weeks 12-16, even though they're on greens/hay as well as pellets, they really start to gain. And get that "mature" look.

My first Angoras (french/english) were all bred at 4 months (by a very crafty buck) and came through it fine. Have gone on to produce lots and easily.

I think..and this is only a guess...that it depends a LOT on the doe herself. I know in other animals you can see the maturity developing....less play, interest in the males, roundness or thickening in the tummy/loin area ... signs. In some it's early, in others it's much later.

Back