Almost accused of poor welfare of rabbit.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side effect":24vbriao said:
Yesterday I gave him a whole egg biscuit ( Shaws ) That was the first time I have gave him that amount. Now on the box it says place one in the cage to be eaten as needed. Prior to that I have given him a quarter piece a day. I also always let him eat it from my hand as it gets him to come to me. So the box says when needed but what do you suggest I give him each day. The same shop manager said once every 3rd day, if that is the case is their anything I can give to him each day as I like to give him something to look forward to.

Thanks as Always

Rabbits will happily eat lots of things that are deadly for them.
(I learned this the hard way with my first rabbit, 16 years ago. I was following what the books in the pet store said to do...WRONGGGGG Amazing how much bad info is out there)

Check out the great forum on feeding rabbits here.
Also this link to a super video and info from MediRabbit.com
about which fresh vegetables and how to feed them to your rabbits.
Including another most important component, how to check for gas and what to do!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCWDf0Wauk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCWDf0Wauk[/url]
Bun appetite! :bunnyhop:

Regarding bunnies being clever. How comes mine still panics when I pick him up. Surely he must now that it will never be my intention to hurt him. He should not be scared of me know. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:48 am __________ <br /><br /> Just realised. your all asleep atm. Want to try and put some pics up as the bunny just jumped into a draw I just left open. If only I can get him to sit with me.

All breeds and individuals within a breed have their own temperament, you wouldn't expect a Jack Russell Terrier to act like a a a Clumber Spaniel or an Arabian like a Dales Pony ;)

Some rabbits are just more nervous and flighty by nature :shrug: and contrary to most pet rabbit sites, not ALL rabbits enjoy socializing or need a companion. Age effects behaviour as well - teenaged rabbits (4 to 12 months) are often more aloof and can be down right rebellious but most out grow these rude behaviours, long as they are not reinforced

I've found that trying to force a bunny to do something usually causes the opposite behaviour but treats can work wonders :)

Let your bunny do his own thing but always have a bit of carrot peelings around and every time you walk by give him a nibble - soon he'll be running to the door to see you.

When he is loose do the same thing but give a command of some sort - I make a clicking sound - and give him a treat, before you know it he'll be coming when called :D

Okay, I just re-read your first post. So you've had him now for several months, after getting him when he was seven weeks old, and he's probably still not neutered. :) He'll be about 23 - 24 weeks old now.

He's still not totally grown up yet, probably. Also, the hormones are likely playing a part. He's probably still in the teenage grouchies somewhat. But like Dood said, some never grow out of it. Neutering him may help, though it is a risky surgery for a rabbit, and you would definitely want a vet that had neutered rabbits before.

For now, I'd just give him some time, and lots of patience. Work on him like Dood suggested. You can dry those carrot peelings, so they don't go bad.

Keep in mind that he may start spraying if he's not neutered. Many house bucks never do it, but some do. Nothing says "I love you" like a face full of buck urine. :sick: If he gets through another few months without spraying, you might be safe. :) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:02 am __________ <br /><br /> He's some sort of chinchilla harlequin or something. Very pretty, whatever you call it! :p

Im really put off neutering him as I dont think I will get another rabbit for him to bond with so I think I will leave him as not 100% sure. He has turned away from the carrot so I will try again later. I am probable trying to do too much too soon. I should be thankful he lets me stroke him. Silly question but how do you dry the carrot shavings please.

Many thanks

I've never had a rabbit spray people but all of them pee out of their cage and not always down. The porch already has dwarf rabbit pee 5' up and down to the floor of every wall next to a cage. Simply green in the dark green spray bottle works wonders on interior walls. Simply green contains Water, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate, Sodium carbonate, Citric Acid, Colorant, Fragrance.

I use a potato peeler to get very thin slices and they dry out just in the air but that might not work in rainy England :)

You can put them on a cookie tray in an oven that is cooling down from baking. Or on a warm radiator or wood stove

Treats should be treats and only given occasionally. House rabbits often get overweight from too many treats. Fat rabbits are seldom healthy rabbits. Contrary to the opinion of non rabbit owners they are NOT cuddle bunnies. Rabbits seldom enjoy being handled a lot. The fact is rabbits are prey animals and we are predators. Rabbits know this. Trying to cuddle most rabbits makes them think they are about to be eaten.
RE bananas you are better off with the dry chips than the fresh bananas. Rabbits digestive system doesn't handle soft foods well.
If you want to give him time outdoors he is better off in a large caged area than on a leash. NEVER take him outside a strongly fenced area. The first dog he encounters is almost bound to attack him. If he is large most cats will hesitate to take him on. Time outdoors is more valuable for the exercise than the food. A leashed rabbit isn't getting much exercise. A fenced area gives him room to run and binky.
All the above are only opinions based on experience, not necessarily proven facts.

I would not use purchase dried fruit. They add a lot of stuff. At minimum some preservatives that people find questionabe for small animals. Frequently extra sugar is added as well. Drying your own would be fine. Personally I don't have an issue giving it fresh. Keep the amount small and the digestive tract used to some fresh food. No sudden big meals after time with none and it should be fine. Dried items have the sugars concentrated and are less appealing to some rabbits. Just removing water is not that helpful to preventing GI problems. It's the sugars and some trace nutrients, such as magnesium ions, that come with watery foods plus a lack of fiber.

Thanks again for your repllies. There's no way I am going to take him outdoors. He was running around the living room jumping over me and up on the sofa which is the first time he's done that and that little thing cheered me up. He has just now climbed up under a disused tv stand so easy. There is a picture in the gallery I just uploaded. As for the treats Im still undecided. There was loads of stuff in a shop called the range but I never got any. I will just give him tiny bits of the egg biscuit for now and then try and make a good choice. He is nowhere near overweight just now. Anyway thanks again everyone.

:p What a cute picture!

Your plan sounds like a good one. :) There is lots to read on here about treats, toys, and all aspects of rabbit care. Not to mention all our wonderful members who are eager to answer questions. :D

Just added another picture. This time I managed to get him to climb on me to eat his little piece of egg biscuit. He is no trouble at all. Each time I go in and see him he is just sitting there chilled out.

Latest posts

Back