Register

All the litter died and I don't know why - PHOTO

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,865.00

Re: All the litter died and I don't know why - PHOTO

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Zass » Mon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm

That position is pretty common for dead kits at that age. :(
I had a doe lose two litters after having a good one.

Upon autopsy, I found small pockets of abscess behind two of her teats. I couldn't feel them at all with my hands, and had no idea that there was an issue there. She had never had visual signs of mastitis.

Err, what I'm saying is sometimes small things go wrong inside, and it can be impossible to tell from the outside. Maybe next time watch her more closely, and see if the babies have full bellies after nursing?

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 280.00

Re: All the litter died and I don't know why - PHOTO

Post Number:#17  Unread postby CeroBlanco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 am

I'm sorry for your litters :( the kits had full bellies every day, so I'm almost sure that the doe feeded well them, but I agree that there are things that go wrong and we can't see them. I hope that the next time will be better!

-- Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 am --

I update only to say that there is a happy ending: this time the doe gave birth to another six babies, one unfortunately died, the others are healthy and they are about 20 days old now :) the real death reason of the previous litter is still unknown but I'm relieved!

The following user would like to thank CeroBlanco for this post
michaels4gardens

Previous