All kits born dead? :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oando

Reaction score
My doe (a lionhead mix) gave birth to 3 stillborn kits yesterday. She had them between 12 o clock noon and 3 pm. I checked on her at noon and she had not had them yet, I felt her belly and I could feel them moving inside kicking all around and being really active. I checked on her again at 3 and she had given birth to three dead kits. She had them in her litter box, not her nest box. she made a wonderful nest, pulled lots of hair, but didn't even have them in the nest box, but instead she had them in the dirty potty box. when I found the kits, I tried to bring them back (in case they were just to cold) I warmed them for over an hour on a heating pad, rubbed their little bellies, but they had no signs of life what so ever :(
I don't know why, but having them pass away has really made me sad, I don't know what went wrong
This would have been my doe's 4th litter (she is almost 2), and she has always done a great jop with her babies. The babies were definitely alive in her stomach as I felt them kicking a few hours before she gave birth. She did clean the kits off pretty well. The kits did seem a little bigger then the average newborn kit. They were about the length of 4 fingers (when holding them in the palm of your hand) and they seemed to have very fine fuzz fur. She had them right on day 31 (I bred her on 12-12 and she had them on 1-12).
So what do you think happened to the kits? I am afraid to breed my doe again as I don't want this to happen again. I always hate seeing a innocent little life lost.

It is possible that the first was stuck and the extended birth time caused the others to expire. Sorry you lost them all. I'd give her a couple of days and then rebreed her.

I agree. Maybe the sire was too big? My mini rex was bred and kindled the same days as yours and they are already a pain in my tucas, leaving the nest. Her previous litter died, 6 kits, so I feel your pain. I was a mess too. Now this is her 2nd and my 3rd and I'm like kevlar so it gets better just try again.

Thank you both so much. I rebred her a few days ago, so fingers crossed all goes well this time. I was definitely I complete reck not knowing how they could have died,since they were so active in her stomach. So thank you for giving me some closure

Back