Alice Springs Chicken, um, Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comet007

Reaction score
This is an adapted recipe from a menu item at Outback Steakhouse. I usually Rotisserie a whole chicken (about 4.5 pounds), then tear off the meat in big chunks with my fingers. I don't know if I can rotisserie a rabbit, but I am hoping I can! I love the flavor it gives the meat. I usually only sprinkle a smoked pepper on the outside, nothing else, prior to cooking. Would rabbit need to be brushed with olive oil to rotisserie? I get four dinners in three-cup sized pyrex dishes from one chicken and then freeze them with the lids they come with. Once DS is moved out again we will go back to getting six two-cup dinners. With three different protein sources in this dish, it really spreads out the chicken/rabbit!

For the bacon, I like to line two big cookie sheets with parchment paper and bake the bacon at about 350 degrees. Make sure that both racks are toward the middle and you can rotate them if you want. I don't know how long it cooks, I just watch it and turn them when they need it and remove them as they get done, since the smaller pieces will be done first. Remember, you will be baking the dish once it's all assembled, so don't overcook the bacon! I like to take them out when they are nicely colored and getting close to when you would eat them if you like chewy bacon. I use organic thick sliced bacon that we get at a local ranch, and it is devine!! Actually, with any of my recipes, assume that pretty much everything is organic, because it probably is!

Honey Mustard Sauce (about 1 cup) - I usually make a double recipe, which leaves us with some nice salad dressing!
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard

Assemble in appropriate sized baking dishes
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 4 1/2 pound chicken, cooked and deboned
Seasoning salt (I never use this because the bacon & cheese give enough flavor)
1 1/2-2 pounds bacon, cooked (personal preference how much you use)
2 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use some kind of cheddar, but go crazy and use your favorites)

Layer the ingredients listed below in baking dishes or pans: mushrooms, chicken, [sprinkle salt], sauce, bacon, cheese. Cover & Freeze. To bake: thaw in frig 24 hrs. Preheat oven to 350F, bake uncovered approx. 30 minutes or until heated through.

Latest posts

Back