AHHHH! UNEXPECTED KITS ON THE WAY!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
Young Dutch doe has just gone in labor, her first kit was a stillborn that was born on the cage floor, my dad noticed while he was mowing the lawn, I instantly prepared a nest box and put it in with her, she immediately got to work and is no constructing a nest, she's pulling fur thankfully, and using plenty of hay and shavings, I'm not sure that since she's had one already if she'll have another or not, but her nest building it telling me she's going to have more. I'm thinking she got bred by passing through cages, there is an open space at the top of the upper cages, and I believe she transferred to the bucks' cage, and was bred, she is currently about 4 and a half months old, I just hope she makes it through this.

Logan

Thank you. :D<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 pm __________<br /><br />Well, we've got 3 kits so far, she didn't pull much fur, but I've moved to a warmer area, so I'm hoping that the kits will be okay, any suggestions to keep them warm? Also, she seems to be stepping on them, I'm not really sure though, has anyone had cases of a mother smushing her kits?

bigbrologan,
I would take the Doe and pluck fur from her sides and rump.
This will not hurt her and the fur should pull out easily.
line the nest with it and cover the kits.
Place the nestbox in an area which is not the Does potty corner.
If she continually stays in the nest, [which she shouldn't]
remove the nestbox full of kits and bring it inside, bring
the nestbox out once a day [preferably early AM or evening]
for feeding. This should take 5 Min or less. She will be
eager to feed them. After they are fed bring the kits back in the house.
Do this until the kits are furred out and eyes are open. [about 12 days]
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Logan, you can add dryer lint, teased cotton balls or batting or feathers from a pillow to help keep the kits warm. It's a good idea to keep a small stash of such materials handy for occasions like this. Hope they do well!

So sorry for the outcome,
but chances are the next liter she will be more prepared for.
If she is in good condition you might want to re-breed her now.
providing that she is now old enough to carry to term with no problems.
Many times a first litter at such an early age upsets and disturbs
the unprepared Dam and leads to loss due to inexperience.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'm almost certain she'll do better next time, I just believe she was far too young, and didn't have enough time to prepare. She is currently about 4 months and 2 and a half weeks. She was supposed to be a sold bunny 2 months ago, but that never happened, so I most likely won't be rebreeding her. Trying to sell her is more like it. She also isn't show quality, she's got a spot on her ear which wouldn't do well on the judges table, I'm not sure if that's a fault of a disqualification, I'll have to look it up in the Standard, I do however, plan to breed her parents and my other pair I have. Thanks for the support ottersatin.

Logan

Back