Agouti vs. castor vs. chestnut vs. tort

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, all the brown bunnies are driving me batty.

I think I know agouti is just the wild cottontail color. I think I know that the torts have darker "points"--nose and ears. But the pictures I am finding online are very confusing, and to add to that, I can't figure out if they are genetically all the same thing but with a bunch of modifiers activated....or? For the sake of clarity, has any one got pictures?

I think the following rabbits are all just agouti, but there is quite a bit of color variation between them, due to red modifiers showing up from the doe. Sorry for the less than stellar photos--clearly natural light was not the best choice for showing reddish colors. These are freezer camp babies--cute, but mutts. brownfaces.gifbunnyback.gifbunnybellies.gif

I only heard caster with mini rex and rex. Here is a pic of my caster doe.
090.jpg

I had a blue tort Elop here is the buck and a baby one
042-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

122.jpg

Here is an opal mini rex
2747821160044411075S500x500Q85.jpg

Agouti is the name of the pattern. Castor, and chestnut are the same colour they just have different names in different breeds.

Black Agouti= Chesnut, Castor, Copper, Belgian.
Blue Agouti= Opal
Chocolate Agouti= Amber or Cinnamon
Lilac Agout= Lynx

Torts are Non extension, so they will not have creme bellies or ring colour. All the different variations within one colour have to do with modifiers.

babies004.jpg

This is a Chestnut lacking in Rufus.
darrt%20036.JPG

A Chesnut with a lot of Rufus, sorry about the massive picture.

IMG_1254.JPG

A black tort with a lot of shading.
babies012.jpg

A black tort with very little shading.
IMG_0010.jpg

A blue tort with a lot of shading
bluetort.jpg

A blue tort with little shading.

Back